Automatic zero in gradebook after a date

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to throw this out there...

What if an assignment could automatically be scored as a zero if not completed by a specified date? This would be a huge time saver for everyone:

Student: this would allow their grade to accurately reflect true grade (if teacher is behind)- will encourage/motivate, etc.

Teacher: huge time saver! Helpful for schools/teachers with students who self pace

Academic Adviser: view true and accurate grade for reporting

Currently, a teacher can default an assignment grade (for all or some students) to a zero. But what if on the same prompt (window) it asks for a date. When the date passes, a zero in placed in the grade. This gives the teacher control of when it happens and it's easy to find.

Just an idea.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

74 Comments
schutt_j
Community Novice

Dropping the lowest grade: I have always had my gradebook set up as you suggest. But I want to have it set up at the beginning of the semester. I don't want to worry/remember/bother/forget about _manually_ changing the settings to drop the lowest grade near/at the end of the semester. So, Canvas could have an option where the lowest grade is dropped, say, after 6 quizzes have been taken and then next lowest is dropped, say, after 12 have been taken. But Canvas doesn't/can't do that. So I either have to set it at the beginning of the semester or _manually_ resetting this at the end of the semester. Yet I can do it easily in Excel.

=IF(COUNTBLANK(H4:S4)>1,SUM(H4:S4),SUM(LARGE(H4:S4,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}))).

Note that this doesn't drop any quizzes until ten have been taken and then it drops the lowest two after that.

This just another example to show how poorly Canvas is written and coded.

Extra Credit Quizzes: It cannot be done for a multiple choice quiz. People have asked for this for years and it has been ignored. The workaround that someone had made was deleted by Canvas. Again, it's trivial in Excel. Nope. Canvas refuses to act on this need.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@cohenf ‌ & schutt.j

Great conversation here, and it looks like Chris & Kelley have jumped in to help you out!

When it comes to automatic zeros, which also ties to late rules, you'll want to watch the Canvas Studio: Gradebook Enhancements V1‌ priority.  This priority currently lives in this document, but will soon have it's own page on DRAFT: Feature Ideas‌.  So be sure to subscribe both places!  In the meantime, I'm glad you found the 'default' grade feature.  

Dropping the lowest grade after a certain number of submissions is a completely different topic.  You'll want to see if that idea has already been submitted.  If not, please submit it.  it sounds like an interesting workflow!

When it comes to extra credit quizzes, you'll want to follow Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine‌, which will also have its' own page in the new feature idea page soon!  You're right that this is a popular request among instructors, but off topic for this thread!  There are a couple strategies you can use in the meantime.  Creating an Extra Credit Quiz, by  @kona  is a great resource.  You can also use 'weighted assignment groups' to classify quizzes as extra credit.  Here is a doc from stefaniesanders that explains this process.  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups   Hope these help!

gibbonsd
Community Participant

As an instructor, I want the ability for due dates to automatically give a zero when there is no submission, however, at the same time allow students to submit assignment later with a default point deduction.  So I consider this idea to co-exist with https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1054-deduct-x-or-x-points-per-day-for-each-day-an-assignment-s...‌.  The Until date can be used to enforce final grade on the assignment, therefore using the Due date and no submission to give an automatic zero, then the Due date and Until date to assign a point deduction for late submissions, then the Until date to turn off the assignment.  

Another idea with to consider is Bonus/Extra X points per day for each day an assignment is submitted early.  For my online class, which the course material would be available from Monday to Sunday, basically seven days to complete their weekly course work, the course work should take no more than 12 to 16 hours per week.  I would give Bonus points for submissions completed between Monday and Thursday, and standard points between Friday and Sunday.  

Had too many students asking for bonus points or for extra credit work at end of the term, the biggest issue was these students did not manage their time and they always waited until the last minute to complete all their course work on the day it was due.  I would inform the student that for Extra Credit they had to submit their course work between Monday and Thursday.

Therefore, it would be nice to have both a Bonus/Extra X points per day for each day an assignment is submitted early and Deduct X points per day for each day an assignment is submitted late.

katherinen_fran
Community Novice

I think this is a great idea to have an assignment grade as a zero if it is not completed by the due date.  I often have to go through each assignment and manually put in zeros for any students who did not submit.  If there was an option to replace any blank grade with a zero that would be very helpful and save a lot of time.

cdanner
Community Novice

This is a great time saver, BUT, a teacher needs to have the ability to adjust the LATE status for a variety of reasons.  Currently if a student resubmits an assignment, because of edits or reteaching, it is marked LATE in the gradebook.  This has increased student anxiety , and generated numerous emails from parents and students, worrying about the impact on the grade.  Teachers NEED TO be able to adjust the LATE status.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-12-18) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

epokryfki
Community Participant

I would really like this feature in Canvas GradeBook, it would help a lot with the management of the late students' work.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@epokryfki ‌, this feature has been implemented in the New Gradebook (which will become the default/only gradebook in January 2020). You can read more about it here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16569-4152826329