Automatic zero in gradebook after a date

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to throw this out there...

What if an assignment could automatically be scored as a zero if not completed by a specified date? This would be a huge time saver for everyone:

Student: this would allow their grade to accurately reflect true grade (if teacher is behind)- will encourage/motivate, etc.

Teacher: huge time saver! Helpful for schools/teachers with students who self pace

Academic Adviser: view true and accurate grade for reporting

Currently, a teacher can default an assignment grade (for all or some students) to a zero. But what if on the same prompt (window) it asks for a date. When the date passes, a zero in placed in the grade. This gives the teacher control of when it happens and it's easy to find.

Just an idea.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

74 Comments
isomtd
Community Member

I would definitely like to see a button or box in the settings portion of the grade book of Canvas for missing assignments. After the due date has passed, I would like to see a zero for the students who have NOT submitted anything for that assignment. It would be super helpful for them to instantly see what they missed that day.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed