Automatic zero in gradebook after a date

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like to throw this out there...

What if an assignment could automatically be scored as a zero if not completed by a specified date? This would be a huge time saver for everyone:

Student: this would allow their grade to accurately reflect true grade (if teacher is behind)- will encourage/motivate, etc.

Teacher: huge time saver! Helpful for schools/teachers with students who self pace

Academic Adviser: view true and accurate grade for reporting

Currently, a teacher can default an assignment grade (for all or some students) to a zero. But what if on the same prompt (window) it asks for a date. When the date passes, a zero in placed in the grade. This gives the teacher control of when it happens and it's easy to find.

Just an idea.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13886 .

74 Comments
jlg65
Community Participant

Looking forward to hearing when this is designed and ready for implementation!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Re: a default comment for late / missing assignment:

I am thinking of a new field for class policies that links to the Speedgrader.  In this new field an instructor can enter their policies pertaining to late/ missing work and when students miss the due date or receive a 0 grade for not submitting, then the text is somehow easily or automatically appended to the Comments section.  This will save instructors time as they then will not be required to copy/ paste text from the syllabus class policies.  It will also improve communication of expectations as it will then be much easier for policy reminders to be given.

curtain
Community Participant

I would like an option that would automatically set a score/grade to zero for an assignment whose "Available Until" date & time has expired.  Since the student can no longer access the assignment after that date and time it makes sense for Canvas to allow instructors to request that the score automatically become a zero.  Note that this is different than setting a "default" score of zero.  If I set a default score of zero for all assignments, then the student will have a false low grade for the class as the semester progresses.  As it is now, students have a false high grade for the class as the semester progresses.

Justification
Students are skipping assignments, apparently unaware of what this is doing to their grade even though Canvas and the syllabus tells them the value of the assignment groups.  When they look at their semester grade it appears that they are making an A for the course.

I just spent the last 15 minutes manually changing scores for 2 students who have skipped assignments to zero.  One student's semester grade changed to a C and another student's semester grade changed to an F.

With close to 100 assignments for this course and 20 students, it would be so much nicer if Canvas would allow instructors to request that "overdue" assignments automatically get a zero score.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

Voted.png  

Was # 101. 

janna_ellis
Community Novice

I can't wait to see this happen!

jkeohane
Community Participant

I suggested this without knowing about this suggestion being so similar.   That said, I think the best way to answer the student's question of:  "How am I doing in your class professor?"  is the following.

My idea is for Canvas to make a choice about whether to ignore, or zero, an ungraded assignment based on the following criteria:

1. If an assignment is not due yet, it is ignored.
  2. If an assignment has been submitted and the instructor has yet to grade it, then ignore it.
  3. If an assignment is past-due and the student has not submitted it, then calculate it as a zero.
  4. If an assignment is to be handed in on paper or not handed in and any other student has a grade for the same assignment, then calculate the it as a zero.  If nobody in the class has a grade for it, then ignore the grade because the teacher has yet to grade it.
kona
Community Champion

It seems like #4 wouldn't really work.

What if I'm in the process of entering grades? How would the system know that it should be a zero or that I just haven't gotten that far down in my grading? OR, what if the student was sick that day and just hasn't turned in the assignment? For me I only put a zero if it really is a zero. If a student is allowed to submit late then I would leave it blank and not want it to show up as a zero.

Seems like it could really freak some students out if they see a zero when I just haven't gotten a chance to enter their grade or if I'm letting them turn in the assignment late.

For me if you are manually grading something (especially something on paper) then what's the big deal with just putting the zero in or leaving it blank - depending on what is needed for that situation?

jkeohane
Community Participant

Yes I thought of that, that is why it is only for stuff collected via paper.

When I collect something on paper, I grade it on paper and then type the grades in all at once.

It would make sense to have a default of say 50% having been graded for it to assume that it was not handed in.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

jbuchner
Community Contributor

Why not go to the grade columns where you've entered scores, use the set default grade to 0? I don't think it will overwrite the grades you've put in, but fill in 0's for those with no entry.

rebecca_theim
Community Novice

I just queried our Adjunct Faculty Coordinator about whether this very functionality was available within Canvas. It would be both a time-saver and provide that instant motivator students needs without waiting for me to go in and zero out those who didn't complete the assignment or take a quiz by the deadline.