Automatically Remove Missing Flag Once Grade is Entered

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For on paper or no submission assignments, if a grade is flagged as missing, but then later points are added to the gradebook, the missing flag remains.  The instructor then needs to manually remove the missing flag, even though points were assigned.  It would be great to have the missing flag automatically disappear once points were entered (signifying that it is no longer missing).  The option to have the missing automatically turn into late would be even better.

78 Comments
ANDREAHICKLIN
Community Novice

I am a teacher using Canvas and synchronizing to my school's SIS afterwards.

I keep encountering the same difficulty --- I set up an assignment, collect it, and type scores into Canvas (sometimes through Speed Grader, other times directly onto the gradebook screen).  Then the deadline for the assignment passes, and all the scores that I entered get the "missing" status applied to them.

I understand that the system is not seeing my manual score entry as a submission.  I get that.

But now there is confusion because the students see both a score and a "missing" label.

I need a way to EITHER change the status of a whole column all at once OR to give Canvas a rule wherein if there's already a score in a column, it doesn't add the "missing" status OR to make the status labels something that I apply manually instead of automatically, OR... 

Basically any idea that avoids me having to go through 70 or more scores and remove the missing tag would be very, very, VERY helpful.

Thanks!

aloomis
Community Participant

2018. Nearly four years ago this suggestion was made. And still nothing. 

When my friends ask me about Canvas, this is what I will say. "Canvas has way to many features, it is vastly disorganized and not user friendly, and though they say they are open to improvement, some of the most obvious and simply fixes are completely ignored. In my time using canvas, I have not seen one improvement that actually fixed one of the many problems with the system. They pretend to care, but actually don't." 

Chokichi
Community Member

@aloomis This very very accurately describes how I feel about Canvas and Instructure, and I just started teaching this year. Canvas is a "horse designed by a committee" and the subject of this thread is just one of the seemingly simple fixes that could be implemented to make instructor's lives easier. I get that programming is not as simple as it seems, but get the software engineers to fix some of these longstanding problems before moving onto new stuff. Canvas has the necessary features; development should be focused on making those smooth before moving on to new features to further complicate an already scattered platform.

Also to name a few others:

1. Being able to export/share New Quizzes to instructors at other institutions

2. A complete mobile app

3. A file system for New Quizzes' test banks

4. Being able to change the "late/missing" status of an assignment in Speed Grader

5. Pre-set phrases for grading in Speed Grader to avoid retyping the same thing 100 times.

aloomis
Community Participant

@Chokichi Yes!!! Preach it! When you go on to see what are the things that Canvas is actually working on, I look at the list and scratch my head going "why did you pick this one of all things?" They are often very obscure and have less posts and support than this thread. I loved your "horse designed by committee" analogy. So true! 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

JacindaVawdrey
Community Novice

It would be awesome to have Canvas automatically change the status of an assignment (i.e. from "missing" to not) when the teacher enters in a grade. It is frustrating to manually change each student's status from "missing" to not if they turn in an assignment on paper instead of through Canvas. This could be a feature a teacher could choose or not in the settings on Gradebook. 

boggssu
Community Novice

Since Canvas will update the status of an assignment based on the due date (missing, late).  It would really be helpful if when a teacher enters a grade, the status automatically updates to "None."  Now, I have to manually change each pink "missing" status to "none."

When you have over 300 students, that is really time consuming.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
  Comments from Instructure

When a grade is entered manually for a missing submission, the missing status is removed. This change removes the Missing label for submissions that have not been submitted online but that have received a manually entered grade.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15).

profesaalfeld
Community Member

@Stef_retired Thank you!! This is great news!!