Automatically clear to-do list

0 Likes
(3)

As of now, one has to manually remove all items on the to-do list, even if the due date has passed.  Also, there is no indicator if the assignment is completed or not.  Thus, if students are worried that they might accidently clear out an item that they have not completed yet, they have to manually open and check if they completed each assignment before removing them. 

All this can be avoided if the to-do list clears itself after the completion of an assignment (or at least an option to turn it on).  As items are automatically added, I would guess that it would not be too hard to implement automatic removal.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kbulman
Community Explorer

Any scheduled meeting through the Zoom LTI populates in the student To Do list along with their other assignments. Old, expired, or past-date Zoom meetings remain populated in the student To Do list and do not automatically clear after the meeting date/time. Instead, those meeting links must be manually removed or "X-ed" out. Too many past calendar events prevent students from viewing important upcoming assignments and due dates. It would be helpful if these expired Zoom LTI meeting dates automatically disappeared from the student To Do list.

To complicate matters, the Zoom LTI posts meeting dates for all sections within a course to all students. Therefore, a student in Section 1, also shows Zoom meeting links for their Section 1 meetings as well as any Zoom meeting links for every other section associated with the course in their To Do list AND Canvas Calendar. It clutters the two spaces and hinders students from fully utilizing some the LMS features that are designed to support time management and executive functioning. 

The_Aud
Community Member

I have discovered the "list view" for the dashboard.  This makes the to-do list much more useful in my opinion.  It lays out what assignments and things are for each day, tells you if you have submitted assignments, and assignments around the current date are automatically at the top of the list.

mcmack
Community Explorer

I agree that it would be extremely helpful if the To-Do list could be cleared out once "Available Until Dates" have passed.  This would prevent students from seeing and completing work from an old Quarter.  We are working with elementary students remotely and it is very challenging to communicate to them what to remove and not remove on their own.  

venturama
Community Member

It would be extremely helpful for the removal of completed work from an old Quarter in the To Do List for our students. They get confused and cannot remember if this did or did not complete the assignment. If would be very nice if you could code this to disappear after the due date if they have completed it. 

NMTeach2
Community Novice

I'd like to see the To-Do list be cleared once the assignment is no longer available.  The to-do list is a helpful feature but if assignments are no longer available or the class has moved on, I'd prefer my 2nd grade class to be spending their time on more current missing assignments.  

worden
Community Explorer

Having the To Do list remain populated can be confusing to students, especially those taking multiple classes. It would be a good thing to have the assignments checked off and removed after an assignment is completed.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.