Averaging Multiple Assignments into One Grade

0 Likes

I would like to be able to selected certain assignments and have canvas turn it into one grade.  My students have a daily bellringer, I would like Canvas to be able to averages these bell ringers into one particpation grade 

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @LatoyaBennett -

Have you explored Assignment Groups? You could place all of your Bell Ringer activities in one group, and then determine how much of your overall course grade that would equal. 

How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? 

If that approach doesn't quite meet your needs, we can work together to fine-tune the proposal. Thanks!

LatoyaBennett
Community Member

I did this after first, but it creates a lot of assignments in powerschool.  Having this capabity would be beneficial for so many teachers.  As a computer science teacher, I am sure it just a matter of changing or adding some additional coding to canvas to make this possible for all teachers.  Canvas is capablitiy of producing the average for each assignment group, we are just asking for the capblity of averaging some selected assignments. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for the reply! With that, the idea would be to make it possible for multiple activities to be combined into one assignment entry in the Gradebook (and SIS export item).

LatoyaBennett
Community Member

yes that is correct, multiple assignments to be combined into one assignment entry in the Gradebook (an SIS export item).

Melvianne
Community Novice

This would also be a good solution for a daily journal assignment, which is what I was looking for.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.