[Modules] Back and Next buttons at top of module items

It would be very helpful if you could insert "Back" and "Next" buttons at the top of module item pages. This would eliminate the need to scroll down through long pages in order to move to the next module item. This is especially bothersome when I've minimized the size of my browser window.
54 Comments
Jeff_F
Community Champion

I see the utility and potential for productivity gains. The height of the current bar if replicated up top might take up a bit too much space though.  Perhaps the height could be less?

Current:

Capture.PNG

Future??

Capture2.PNG

sshumway
Community Novice

Good idea!

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I can see how adding these buttons at the top of a page could really speed up navigation through course content in Canvas. I will work with our designer to see how we might be able to incorporate these navigational elements given the large amount of information we have at the top of these pages. We will update this forum post in a few weeks when we have an update.

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I spent some time with design talking through some options on how we could address this workflow without cluttering the UI, and I wanted to get your input on another potential solution. Instead of having the wide Previous / Next bar at the end of the content, what if we had a more narrow floating footer bar that would always be at the bottom of the page. If you have a long page, it would always appear at the bottom of the current view and would stay at the bottom of the screen when you scroll down.

We thought this would give the convenience of having the links always appear on the page, without cluttering the top of the screen where there is already so much information.

@kgordon ​,  @Sylvia_Ami ​,  @hvaughn ​ and others in the thread, I would love your thoughts.

martil29
Community Novice

I love that idea!

Lisa Martino

Faculty Development Instructor

Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence, Worldwide

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Daytona Beach, FL

Office: (386) 226-2922

Email: Lisa.Martino@erau.edu<mailto:Lisa.Martino@erau.edu>

sshumway
Community Novice

Floating at the bottom of the screen would be great!

Jeff_F
Community Champion

This is surely a workable solution.  Nice idea, Deactivated user​

hvaughn
Community Contributor

Hi Cosme - As soon as one opens an item in a module, if the floating footer is accessible to quickly move to the next item within the module, (discussion, page, quiz, etc.), that would be great.  The current situation of having to scroll down to the bottom of the opened item to find the Next button is the issue for us. And God help you if you land on a discussion you need to quickly move beyond. Depending on how robust the discussion is, you may never find it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

​This idea is now in development!  Thank you for the investment you made in this idea and this Community!  We appreciate you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Awesome! Thanks!