[Modules] Back and Next buttons at top of module items

It would be very helpful if you could insert "Back" and "Next" buttons at the top of module item pages. This would eliminate the need to scroll down through long pages in order to move to the next module item. This is especially bothersome when I've minimized the size of my browser window.
54 Comments
mtuten
Community Contributor

If a floating Next/Previous and/or top of the page Next/Previous can't be made, can there instead be a link made just below the page title that navigates users to the bottom of the page where the Next/Previous buttons are currently?

I was able to create something similar for discussions by adding the following code at the top of the discussions page:

<p><a href="#module_sequence_footer">Skip to bottom of page navigation</a></p>

I tried to make one for content/Wiki pages too, but for whatever reason, it never made the navigation.

By the way, I'm still on the old interface, so if it doesn't work in the new interface, let me know.

hvaughn
Community Contributor

I hope the original suggestion is still on the development team's radar.  The Back (or Previous) and Next buttons would be very helpful at the top of content items within a module as well as at the bottom.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We're in the earliest stages but I did want to let all the voters on this thread know that we do want to provide users with a better way of moving through course content. We will likely not have anything during the next six months, but I did want to let you know that it's on our radar. Down with the eternal scroll! :smileylaugh:

awarmar
Community Participant

We were just discussing this as a need and were excited to see it may be coming! Smiley Happy  Awesome!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

dianepbh
Community Participant

Incredible that this has not happened yet. Navigation 101: make navigation predictable. This also affects accessibility. 

ana_mataksiviou
Community Novice

This is impacting the usability and accessibility of Canvas Smiley Sad

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Just about a year ago, I asked for "relative navigation" ( https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8612 ) so regardless of the module item being viewed, a simple HTML command would take the user forward or back the number of specified steps.

I haven't studied theAdaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes posted here, but like  @dianepbh ‌ and  @ana_mataksiviou ‌, I wonder why ideas that directly affect accessibility, general usability, and instructional design of Canvas learning modules aren't prioritized and developed in a more timely manner.

suznaegl
Community Member

It would be especially helpful for discussion boards

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I have a course with a Discussion with 70+ responses.  To go to the next item in the Module, and have to scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll..... and finally reach the bottom to click the Next button.

All items in a Module would benefit from having Next and Previous buttons at the bottom and top -- but Discussions are especially annoying without the Next button at the top.