Basic functionality of Lockdown and Respondus

0 Likes

As a faculty member at Baylor University, it shouldn't be necessary for me to create a practice quiz in order to prompt students to download Lockdown and Respondus.  Why aren't those links simply available to them?  This isn't an "idea."  It's just a question of basic functionality and it's been a problem for the last year. If the quizzes can require these, then it should be easy for the students to get them.  I'd say at least 50% of my students are confused about this which means in a class of 200 I get 100 emails asking about it!!!  Why can't Canvas just fix this **bleep** problem?!?  It's an easy fix!!!  You can link to these after the quiz begins.  Why not before?

Tags (2)
3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@benjamin_kleine 

Sorry to hear that your students are experiencing difficulty using Lockdown Browser with Classic Quizzes. You'll be pleased to know that this situation was remedied a while back in New Quizzes. Students taking a quiz created in our new quiz tool don't need to download a browser; when they click on a quiz with the lockdown browser enabled, the quiz will automatically launch in lockdown mode.

Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation, so we've archived this idea.

Thanks for your feedback. Check out the resources in the New Quizzes User Group to learn more.

benjamin_kleine
Community Novice
Author

But that still doesn't tell them that this is going to happen!  I didn't need a new tool.  Just links to download Lockdown and Respondus.  Students don't want to begin the quiz prior to knowing how they'll get those.  As a result, I get lots of emails.  Some information on your page about how to get these or when to get them or something would help a great deal.  Again, it's not a functionality question.  It's a question of giving them the link prior to them taking the quiz. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@benjamin_kleine 

Here's a resource you can provide students in the quiz instructions that will give them guidance for launching the Respondus Lockdown Browser (scroll to the bottom):  Submitting a quiz