Batch Group Management

Currently Canvas only allow manual Group creation and member assignment. This idea is about to provide Teacher ability to create course Groups, assign group members via batch .csv upload, so course Groups and group membership can be managed in a more efficient way. It will save lots of time for large courses with hundreds of students enrolled.  group‌group-creation

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-10-21) - Canvas Community .

50 Comments
apboyle
Community Member

This would be very useful.

j_p_t_m_gelisse
Community Member

I, and all members of my department, vote for this solution. We have statistics courses with 350+ students, who have to be manually assigned to group sets. 

roborton0
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is a feature that is now on beta.

In the people page of a course on a new group set, or an existing group set there is an import button. When you click on the import button, it brings up a page that has a download roster file too.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Within a group set, groups can be created via CSV import. This change allows instructors to create groups within a group set using a CSV as an alternative to enrolling users manually in the interface.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-10-21) - Canvas Community .

RobDitto
Community Champion

Wow, amazingly good news!

suzrobmcd
Community Novice

This is fantastic.  Except, when I click to download my roster and assign my groups, I have a blank csv file, with headers only.  I have 233 people to assign to eight groups.  I tried created the groups first.  Nothing.  I downloaded the roster from the gradebook and changed the headers as noted in the API, but when I import, it only imports the groups, it doesn't populate them.  Working with my institution's tech team, but not getting answers (yet).  Any thoughts on what is happening?  Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed