Batch question editing in a quiz

(1)
I would love to see a batch question editing screen where instructors can edit all questions in a quiz, including point value, question type, linking pictures, changing MC options, etc. and save Once for All.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

17 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission,  @quz2 ​. Can you clarify a bit further with a use-case for this? I can understand the need for batch editing quiz settings, for example. Or even quiz question points. But what if a quiz includes different question-types and formats. How could you batch edit those? Perhaps some clarification would help.

Smiley Happy

quz2
Community Participant

Thanks for asking! By "batch editing" I was hoping for the ability to edit many questions of the same type on one screen, as opposed to clicking on "edit" for every single question. These questions don't have to have the same point value, but it would be nicer if I can assign one "default point value" for "selected (select all) questions in the quiz."

For example:

• an editor for creating # of MC questions.
  • an editor for creating # of T/F questions.
  • an editor for creating # of matching questions.
  • etc.

If a quiz contains 8 MC questions, 4 TF questions, and 3 matching questions, then I only need to edit on 3 screens, not 15.
If a quiz has only 12 MC questions, then all can be done on one screen, not 12.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for your clarification,  @quz2 ​. This idea will be open-for-vote during the next voting cycle (Feb 3)

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

cfelton
Community Novice

Point value should DEFINITELY be able to be modified on all questions. I have often had to go through and edit every single test question to change the point value because we import QTI files from Respondus. It may also be a good idea to have the ability to set a point value for each type of question (so m/c questions could be 2 pts each, matching could be 1 pt each, etc.).

ccalderon
Community Champion

So glad I saw this before the deadline, and also happy to see it is over the 100 vote threshold! This is a common request from faculty - would make maintenance soooo much easier!!

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion. We will work to make the authoring experience more streamlined in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine , which is currently under development. There are many ways to address the authoring and maintenance of items. I am not certain we will create the specialized editing process described here, but we will work to resolve some concerns in item management.

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

ja46272
Community Novice

This would help me out tremendously, especially being able to change point values.  If I need to take 20 points total off of a 50 question quiz, then I need to click on many questions one by one to change the point values.  Then, it's not so easy to see the point total, or what subsections of the quiz add up to if I'm trying (for instance) to make each of 4 sections add up to 70 points.  Right now, I manually transcribe all my question titles into Excel, and manually transcribe the point value and see the sum there.  Then, I fiddle with it in Excel.  Then I go back to Canvas and manually change the point values of the questions I need to change.  This takes a long time.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

kwelzenbach
Community Novice

I'm shocked this isn't an option already.  Thanks for suggesting it.  Instructors shouldn't have to go through question by question to reassign point values for a quiz.  This "batch option" is standard on most other platforms.

myacapsin
Community Member

Yes-great idea!  I just asked about this myself  because it is really tedious work going through each point value and changing it.  THANK YOU for posting this idea!

Maude

byang
Community Novice

May I ask where the status is for this vote now? Thanks. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@byang , we don't have any updates to share on this idea at this time.

rislis
Community Champion

For a feature added in 2016 to have no updates is one of the reasons I don't like the process.

JamesSinger
Community Member

This is a fantastic idea! Right now I'm sitting in front of my own quiz/exam and thinking, "I just want to be able to click an 'edit all question point values" button' instead of having to go into every single one separately and edit them on their own. I imported a quiz with 50 multiple-choice questions and 5 essay questions. I want to make the essay questions be worth more than the multiple-choice ones. For whatever reason, the default point value for all the questions is 10 points. I was hoping they'd all be worth one point each and I'd only have to edit the last five essay questions. As it currently stands, it makes the exam worth 550 points. I mean, the point values are a bit arbitrary, but I try to keep it consistent across assignments and their categories. In my case, it means a lower value per question makes the most sense. So under the current setup, I'll now be editing 50 questions instead of 5. Sorry for the language, but that's just dumb. It's also dumb this was suggested in 2016 and here it is, 10 days away from 2022! C'mon, this is a really good idea that @quz2 had. Any updates on the status? Actually, this is common "flaw" across the whole system: No way to do mass edits, it's always just one thing at a time. Something like this would save us so much time.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.