Better "Learning Mastery" tools to summarize students achievements.

0 Likes

Background: The table Learning Mastery (under Grades) is a good tool to see the students' current status in a course. By converting the course criteria into different Outcomes (type of criterion) in Canvas, you can test the same Outcome several times and see the average.

In my country the different course criteria are the deciding factors for the final grade. Thus it is also important to have more control over them in Canvas, if I as a teacher should be able to use this tool.

Suggestions:

outcomes_suggestion.png

1. Clicking on an outcome in the table should give a breakdown on all the different grades that students have received on that specific outcome in every assignment (that uses that outcome).

2. Manually grade an outcome to overrule the average result.
In case the average doesn't correctly match the student's actual skill or knowledge.

3. Individual colouring
Colours might currently depend on the organisation's own colour settings.

4. Permanently re-arrange the columns.
You can re-arrange the columns but as soon as you go to next side they flip back.

5. Visibility to the pupils so they can also see a summary of their progress.
To reduce work for us teachers it would be good if they could access this automatically made summary.

6. Easily transfer Outcomes to next years course.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

1 Comment
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @AdamKundurakis -

Thank you for sharing your ideas and feedback about Outcomes. It's clear you're invested into the process and you'd like to see this tool become more helpful to instructors and students who use it.

I need to Archive this thread because each of those suggestions needs to be shared as its own Idea. This way, it's much easier for Community Members and for Project Managers to follow a conversation and develop the Idea. How do idea conversations work in the Instructure Community? 

I hope you consider dividing this post into smaller pieces. You have several wonderful Ideas that would catch the attention of several Community members.