Better support for page jump links

0 Likes
(1)

For easy navigation on longer pages or between pages on canvas, I think it would very helpful for students if there was better support for being able to link to specific spots within a page. 

I can currently do this w/ HTML, but very clunky and time consuming. For example within a page:

<a href="#zoom">Zoom</a>

<h3 id="zoom">
    <span>Zoom</span>
</h3>

and to other pages

<a href="https://the_full_link_to_the_page/#zoom">Zoom</a>

However, it would be much easier with the following features:

• Insert 'table of context' for the page, which would atomically insert an outline of the page heading titles which you could click on to take you there directly. (Like you can easily do in google docs.)
  • Inserting link to a specific heading on a course page, not just the page itself (and have this open in the same window, not a new window).

Thank you,

Eli

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

JCostello323
Community Member
To make it possible to link to a specific place within a page on Canvas. For example if students are on a page and instructors have the term "online course" listed and tell students to click the term to go to the glossary page and it will link directly to that word on the glossary page instead of just linking to the top of the page.
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi! While this is not a solution nor is it a built-in option, I sometimes enjoy using the Link to Text option in Chrome. It may work in the short-term if you would like to build pages without HTML.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.