[Blueprint Courses] Lock Quiz Settings in Blueprint (Prevent Teachers from Editing)

Problem statement:

Locking content in a Blueprint does not lock the quiz settings. In Classic Quizzes, locking content locks the RCE, questions, and question point values, but teachers can still edit the details/checkboxes (i.e. shuffle answers, multiple attempts, show correct answers, etc.). In New Quizzes, locking the content does nothing. Teachers can fully edit the quiz.

Proposed solution:

Proposed solution is to add another locking mechanism so admins can lock quiz settings. Any organization that centralizes and distributes content would want these settings controlled. For example, allowing teachers to enable "show correct answers" for students is an assessment integrity issue. Once revealed, students could share these answers online and with classmates. New Quizzes not only needs the quiz settings to be available for locking, but the entire quiz (questions, points, etc.)

User role(s):

admin,instructor

Added to Theme

11 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

Please see the Canvas Roadmap for more details!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-12-17)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-12-17) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

gcarlucc
Community Explorer
Problem statement:

Forgive me for reposting this, but the original idea that was deployed does not fully support all aspects of locking a quiz. Original post: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Ideas/Blueprint-Courses-Lock-Quiz-Settings-in-Blueprint-Pr.... When syncing a New Quizzes quiz from the Blueprint, only the question prompt and answer choices are locked. Still unlocked is the ability to change existing questions' point value, create new questions, DELETE questions, and adjust any of the quiz settings (shuffle questions/answers, allow multiple attempts, etc.). This creates an academic integrity issue.

Proposed solution:

Enabling the locking mechanism for "content" and "points" locks the quiz questions, answers, question point values, overall quiz value, quiz settings, restricts creation of new questions, and restricts the ability to delete questions.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

gcarlucc
Community Explorer

2023-02-13_14-11-53.jpg

MPioRoda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi 

Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 2.16.18 PM.png

gcarlucc
Community Explorer

@MPioRoda Thanks for the response. I suppose I'll open a ticket then because I definitely have 'Content' and 'Points' locked. I tried to attach a video but the 'Insert Video' button says "refused to connect", so here's a screenshot. If locking the Settings tab should be considered a separate idea, we can certainly separate it in another post.

2023-02-23_8-33-52.jpg2023-02-23_8-37-13.jpg