[Blueprint Courses] Make Modules lockable

Currently, the behavior of Modules within Blueprint courses is unclear and is inconsistent with other aspects of Blueprint courses. Unlike other content elements in Blueprint (pages, assignments, files, discussions, and quizzes), you cannot specify any locked attributes of Modules. Documentation (How do I sync course content in a blueprint course in an account?) indicates that:

"If the blueprint course includes Modules, associated courses match the modules structure initially created in the blueprint courses. However, any additional modules and their content added to the blueprint course will always be added to the bottom of the Modules page in the associated courses."

However, this does not explain whether changes are possible to Modules made within a Blueprint. Because Modules are not lockable, the content of Modules can be changed (deleted or moved) within an associated course. However, our testing and observations indicate that upon course sync Modules (usually, if there are locked items within those modules) reset to the content and order that appears in the Module in the Blueprint. We have some anomalous behavior that makes using Modules in Blueprint courses potentially problematic:

This is problematic for several reasons:

• In associated courses where assignments have different due dates, instructors may want assignments with locked content (but unlocked due dates) to appear in a specific order within the modules in the associated sites. Currently this does not work.
  • If an instructor adds a learning object (file, page, assignment, etc.) to a Module that was created in a Blueprint course, the added element usually is placed at the top of the Module after a course sync. This location may not make sense to learners participating in a course.
  • The current workaround -- creating modules within associated courses (rather than within a Blueprint) -- reduces the time savings and consistency of course experience offered by Blueprint.

To address these issues, we would like to see Modules made lockable with the following options:

• Content
  • Order of content within modules
  • Order of modules
  • Requirements
  • Mastery Paths

Adding these options would clarify the expected behavior of Modules with Blueprint and align the lockable attributes with other content elements. And as Modules are not the default home page in Canvas, better and clearer support for Modules in Blueprint courses is critical.

Added to Theme

Simplify bulk course tasks Theme Status: Identified

18 Comments
lowea
Community Participant

Please fix this issue. going into every associated course is driving me crazy. 

lowea
Community Participant

I managed to force the module order sync adventuralyy. Just synced 3 times but changing the names of a few modules (adding a space). 

jcacciatore
Community Explorer

What do you mean Mr. Iowea? I can't believe that this feature still doesn't work correctly. I had departments FURIOUS that they had so much sorting work reset.  

Please comment if you see this issue where you work as well. 

lowea
Community Participant

Eventually, I managed to get the modules to sync in the right order.  I changed page names within some of the modules to force through a sync each time. The fourth time I tried all the modules appeared in the right order on the child courses. 

It is an asoloute pain. 

kylecage0
Community Explorer

When I put pages in a certain order in a blueprint template course and sync that course with the associated courses, the pages are not in the correct order. This is a major issue with Blueprint that has been going on for 4+ years now and it still hasn't been resolved. 

jcacciatore
Community Explorer

I love Canvas and the tools it provides teachers with to engage and assess students, but that this issue hasn't even been acknowledged is wild. I've had so many angry and disappointed emails! When something foundational like this doesn't work well it makes other components harder to sell to my staff. "I'm sure this won't work either" type comments becomes the norm. 

Please fix over the summer. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme