Boxes next to student names in Gradebook to send custom emails

0 Likes

I used Blackboard for many years and one feature I used regularly (and miss greatly) was the ability to be IN the GRADE BOOK, click a box by a student's name, and send a group email to just those selected students. 

I used it to send "Hey, you seem to be missing a lot of assignments, can I help?" type emails as well as, "You are rocking this class, keep up the good work!" I could also choose the students who may have been recently added to the class or who needed extra time or encouragement to send them a note letting them know I was going to change a due date or re-open an assignment for them or something.

Anyway, while the "send email to students who are missing an assignment" is a fine scroll down, it is not nearly flexible enough for my purposes.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tags (1)
2 Comments
Allie_Dilts
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived

Hi @crawfordt

Thanks so much for your feedback! Good news: this is actually something you can already do in the Canvas gradebook! If you click on a student name in the gradebook, a student context card displays and you can message the student from there. Check out this guide for more information. (Even though that guide shows how to view the context card from the people page, the same concept applies in the gradebook.) 

Hopefully that helps! 

Thanks, 

Allie 

crawfordt
Community Explorer
Author

Allie,

Thank you for your reply, but this is NOT AT ALL what I want to do. 

I know how to send messages to individuals within Canvas.

I want to be able to batch mail students of my choosing from within the Gradebook.

This, I cannot do, and it is an important aspect to teaching.