[Discussions] Bring back push notifications for discussion boards.

I'm not sure why push notifications for discussion boards were disabled, but please reenable them.  I'm a student and they were a great way to get notified when there was a new post, or response.

43 Comments
Theycallmekc
Community Member

Please bring back push notifications for discussions! I am a student, and this is already negatively impacting my performance in my online classes. Every class that I am taking uses discussion posts and the push notifications made it a lot easier to view and respond to my classmates when they have posted.

The email notifications work for the time being, but they are not as quick or as easy to use as the push notifications. I also don't always see the email notifications because my teachers send out a lot of emails each day, so the discussion notifications get lost in all of the emails. Thus, I don't see that my classmates have responded to the post and I respond to them very late. 

Please bring back the push notifications so that I can see when my classmates respond and I can post a response in a timely manner.

kchilds1
Community Explorer

@Theycallmekc, thank you for sharing the student perspective! I know I have missed several student questions the first days of the semester. While I get the email notifications, I get too many emails and don't always see them right away. The push notifications highlight what I need to respond to. 

deeunavailable
Community Novice

I really liked the push notifications for discussion posts. It was very helpful and I don't know how I am going to get through this semester without this feature. Please bring it back!!

dhulsey
Community Champion

Monitoring discussions is difficult without notifications. The rationale for restricting any notifications is murky. Let users decide what notifications help their productivity instead of forcing someone else's work habits onto everyone. 

I am curious, do the metrics for use of the mobile app and notifications distinguish between android phone use and chrome book use? 

croblesbahm
Community Member

Any word on whether or not we can have this back yet?

Having to constantly monitor my email to make sure I don't miss any students questions is really stressing me out

srussell149
Community Novice

Yes, please. Only getting a push notification when student make their initial post is only 1/3rd of the game, as they say.

elearn
Community Participant

Some teachers would like to be notified by Canvas notifications when he/she create or reply discussion  topics in Canvas courses.

I would understand that similar ideas were raised before:

Discussion Notification: Activity that involves you

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Discussion-Notification-Activity-that-involves...

However, that idea was for receiving notifications that course users reply to discussions involving the teacher. I would mean notification option like "Announcement created by you". 

willmoin
Community Participant

Didn't you guys just get rid of this?😜

brillhart
Community Member

I also have a Q& A Discussion board and stressed to my students to use it first as I would get push notifications when posts were made. I am very disappointed this option was taken away. It was an excellent resource for me and students as I was able to reply to questions almost immediately and students knew when a questions was answered. I don't have push notifications for emails as I get so many in a day. Please bring back push notifications for Discussion posts.

Tired_Gazelle
Community Novice

I've just been searching wondering why nobody has been replying to my posts in a group discussion. Removing push notifications basically makes the whole discussion page redundant as it relies on people checking "just in case" people may have posted something.

I can't for the life of me understand the rationale behind removing something so important. 

Would be great to have it reinstated so it's actually usable again.