Bring back the equation editor button

0 Likes

A typical paragraph in a math lesson contains a mixture of ordinary words and mathematical expressions. They alternate between one another and typing them in Canvas requires going in and out of the equation editor. This task is already cumbersome as it is, but in the most recent layout of the rich-text editor, the equation button has been removed from the formatting tools and hidden into the "more" menu, i.e., the button consisting of three dots. While it is true that accessing the equation button now requires just one more click, over time this can be annoying. For such a commonly used tool, especially for math and physics teachers, why would you hide the equation button? I recommend bringing it back into the default formatting tools.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@kmgonzales1  To see the link for the equation editor at all times, widen the window you're using. When the screen is narrowed, the three vertical dots ("more") will display; as the user widens the window, more tools, including the equation editor icon, will display in the ribbon. 

As this is user-controlled existing functionality, we've archived the idea.

kmgonzales1
Community Member

I am sorry, Stefanie, but I can no longer widen the window since my browser is already at full screen. I have a 16:9 laptop and the default font is already small. I have to shrink my browser to 80% for the equation button to appear, by then the interface would be difficult to read. I didn't have this problem before at 100%. I don't understand why there had to be three dots. There is enough space to just show the equation editor button. I attached a screenshot of my browser at full 1080p width. I will appreciate it if you will unarchive my post. Thank you.CANVAS.png

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kmgonzales1 Would you please ask Canvas Support to investigate this on your behalf? I just tested this on a 13-inch laptop with the browser zoom set at 100% and was able to see all of the icons on the ribbon without having to click on the three vertical dots and without launching full screen mode.

You can contact Canvas Support through the options on your Help menu. How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor? provides the general instructions, but in case your organization has customized its help menu options, use the support pathway provided by your school. 

Thanks.