Bulk Assignment Edit for a Single Student

0 Likes
(6)

I had high hopes for the new Batch Edit feature on the assignments page.  It's smart enough to know when an assignment has multiple due dates associated with different student groups (example:  a student has an extension but the rest of the class is using the default).  The downside is that it doesn't give you the ability to configure that.  What happens in most cases is that you need to change many different assignments for a student who has requested an extension.  So, I would request the ability to add a single student or group of students as an exception date via the batch.  It seems like, just being able to select a student or group on the batch screen would accomplish this.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

huic
Community Participant

Yes @blee! The pandemic has brought out the need for changing multiple due dates for individuals.

I found myself spending on average of 2 minutes per due date change per assignment. Because my late policy this semester has been “Don’t worry about missed due dates, just propose a concrete and practical new due date and I’ll change it”, I’m fielding at least 2-3 due date change per student per week, and about 3-5 students per week. Do the math... That's half an hour just to change due dates! 😞

RGO
Community Novice

I agree completely with huic.  I have been spending 30 minutes per student changing due dates for students that were unable to complete assignments due to lack of access, hospitalization, funerals, sick (and dying) relatives. 

ellisonl15
Community Participant

I have started using "due & open-until" dates to help keep my asynchronous classes working on schedule. However, things come up, and I need to push those deadlines out for students. Often multiple modules of assignments. Please make it possible to do bulk changes to a single student, and show who the students are with different deadlines (instead of "1 student," etc.). 

skane2
Community Member

I have 30+ assignments that need to be assigned to 1 student. There should be a feature that allows instructors to assign these to students without having to go into each assignment and individually assign them. 

The student was out due to COVID and to pass the course needs to complete the missing assignments but other students don't need them opened. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.