[DocViewer] Bulk Download of Annotated DocViewer documents by assignment

Instructors can easily bulk-download student submissions, and instructors can individually download the PDF showing the annotations they've made to a student's submission in DocViewer. There is currently no way to bulk download all annotated submissions for an assignment in one click.  Faculty frequently want to keep a portfolio of this feedback / graded work for each student.

Similar requests have been made by Eric Castro and Robert Jones, but haven't received the votes needed.

Added to Theme

66 Comments
ecastro
Community Participant

It's disheartening that we're STILL having to request a relatively simple feature. And yet, the need STILL exists, so here's hoping the third time's the charm…

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @joannae 

Thank you for resubmitting this feature idea.  We will open it for vote with the next cohort.

Eric, when you say "relatively simple" what are you basing relativity on?  Bulk download isn't a feature of Box or Crocodoc as far as I know, so this would need to be built from scratch.

ecastro
Community Participant

Since a single submission can be downloaded with the Speedgrader-annotations embedded, it strikes me that a while() loop would be able to grab all of the single files in an assignment; and since Canvas can already zip other submissions, the same code could be repurposed to zip these Speedgrader-annotated files for download. The individual components of what we're asking for already exist; they "simply" need to be packaged as a bulk-download it seems. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey Eric,

I can see where that would make sense and look like the code exists in one place so why can't it just be repurposed?  The reason is that we are dealing with multiple third party integrations so it isn't all one interchangeable system.  I have to qualify this statement by saying that I'm not a programmer and my understanding could be off base.

At any rate, its a great use case and I hope the idea does well in this next round of voting.

adam_abbate
Community Novice

Very much looking forward to voting on this!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

joannae
Community Participant

Great - it's officially open for voting!

pwelch
Community Novice

Thank you: right now, is there any way to access annotated papers from completed courses??? This bulk download feature of annotated papers with comments would be great. Even better would also be enabling downloading individual annotated papers from completed courses That way, if we want to use one particular paper as an example for future students, we won't have to sift through a zip file, cut an Adobe document (a small nightmare), or cut/paste into Microsoft Word (a giant formatting nightmare).

kathy_scott
Community Novice

This would be extremely helpful for our institute and we fully support this idea.

As a related aside, does anyone have any experience with how a student can print a copy of their annotated assignment, with the annotations in liine with their position in the text, rather than at the end as a list of references? This is a big issue for us in our student feedback forum.

acapstick
Community Explorer

I'd like to ask how a single submission can be downloaded / printed with the annotations and comments embedded as we are struggling to do this. Satff would like to be able to download all pages of a marked documents with comments visible on all pages. Thanks