cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bulk Download of Annotated DocViewer [Crocodoc] documents by assignment

Bulk Download of Annotated DocViewer [Crocodoc] documents by assignment

(44)

Instructors can easily bulk-download student submissions, and instructors can individually download the PDF showing the annotations they've made to a student's submission in Crocdoc DocViewer. There is currently no way to bulk download all annotated submissions for an assignment in one click.  Faculty frequently want to keep a portfolio of this feedback / graded work for each student.

Similar requests have been made by Eric Castro and Robert Jones, but haven't received the votes needed.

64 Comments
annesinterests

Having this feature is even more-important (IMHO) than bulk-downloading the original document.  This way, the student's original submission AND the feedback are all in one place.  Even if students don't view the feedback, we instructors have a record that we gave it and what it was...

Alden Weight -- wow!  Thanks for doing the research to gather evidence of how much time the current system wastes! 

For institutions interfacing with TurnItIn and using QuickMarks, does anyone know if they have a bulk download feature for scored papers?  I know bulk download of student-submitted work is available in TurnItIn, but I haven't experimented with scored papers because I use SpeedGrader for scoring and TurnItIn for Similarity Reports.

elord1

I have spent ages searching for a way to do this and have just been on the phone with Canvas chat.  We need to keep evidence of all marked work complete with annotations and feedback.  I have just read through these comments and can't believe that this isn't even on the road map and it has been in comments since 2012.  Surely, most institutions and teachers need to keep this evidence?  Very frustrating.

James
Community Champion

Earlier this year, there was a question about how to download the annotated submissions via the API. We found and documented how it can be done: https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/30644-download-annotated-submissions-via-api 

abenson3

Annotating assessment in speedgrader - I would also be able to download in bulk the assignment with the annotated comments. It is available on other LMS and given that it is possible to download them individually already I would have thought doing so in bulk shouldnt be too difficult. This is a feature needed for moderation and benchmarking and inefficient to do individually in larger classes.

m_lilley

I agree with Eric. This is a much needed feature. 

paul_casson

Not very user friendly for those of us with limited knowledge of whatever API is

James
Community Champion

@paul_casson 

I agree with your assessment. 

It wasn't intended to be user friendly. It wasn't written for people who have limited knowledge of the API. It was a technical discussion of people trying things and documenting what worked and didn't worked to help figure out how to make it happen. It is not an announcement of a production-ready implementation that you could purchase and use.

When someone wants something from Canvas that is not part of the standard package, we often have to get creative. This means using the API, Canvas Data, Live Events, GraphQL, or other tools. All of those technologies have a definite learning curve and overhead involved. Use of those are geared more towards a developer than a typical user who wants an easy-to-use solution. That other discussion was for people who have those skills.

I was tying the two discussions together so people who found one could find the other one. Some people will be able to benefit from the other discussion, other people will not be able to.

kieran_nee

This is a must-have addition to the SpeedGrader functionality. The capability to download the annotated documents one by one is there, and an API workaround now exists. Why a bulk download option isn't available at the click of a button is baffling. 

sus_taylor25

Seems an obvious addition to speedgrabber.  Other tasks can be done in bulk so why not this equally relevant one?

Thanks

uwe_zimmermann
Community Member

The problem as I see it is that the individual download suggest quite a meaningless name, which has to be changed individually, while the bulk-download of submissions automatically assigns the student name and id.

curgus

Its hard to believe how out of touch the designers are with actual users. If a student wants to discuss the graded work, what do you think I want to look at?  The original assignment? so that I have to rethink through student's work from scratch. Don't you designers understand that the homework is a collaborative process. Students do their work, we comment, give suggestions, ... The final product is the annotated file. 

uwe_zimmermann
Community Member

Given the total lack of absence of comments from developers here in the forum I wonder if anyone from Instructure is actually following the discussions. Since this seems the only official way to get into contact with them I would surely hope so....

jdm

Batch downloading speedgrader annotated pdfs is a feature that has been requested for 4 years, and not yet, apparently implemented.

I have over 50 students in my class. I have to click in the download button 50 times AND manually change the file name. This is a lot of work!

I can batch download the original files (without my annotations). Why not the annotated version?

jessmeyer

My district - due to elearning - has chosen canvas as their platform.  I have 167 students.  The fact that I can't batch download is utterly maddening.   As primary and secondary schools migrate to this platform this has to happen.  I spent HOURS annotating and giving comments to my students on their projects under the assumption that they would be able to see those / download those.  I am NOT happy to know I wasted my time and I will spend hours more downloading those files.

Seriously -- we need this feature now.

ehl

It seems to me almost malpractice to not implement a bulk-download-of-annotated-submissions feature into Canvas ESPECIALLY IN VIEW OF CIRCUMSTANCES WE ARE NOW IN WITH THE PANDEMIC. When my students were on campus, I felt comfortable requiring that all submission uniformly be as PDF, then I could bulk-download them, mark them up in a markup-capable PDF program and bulk-upload them back. Now, with the varieties of infrastructure insufficiency, i allow the students greater leeway in submission formats, whatever Canvas can handle. Speed Grader then works for markups, but getting the marked-up documents is now a monumental headache. The Canvas folks can, no doubt, implement an easy bulk download with a few minutes of programming. What is the holdup? (I have my suspicions.)

jarcara

Please add this feature! I am using the annotation tool with an Apple pencil, which really helps in saving my hands/wrists from so much typing, but then when I need to go back to remind myself what I have advised a student (we do multiple drafts in my classes), I can only look online unless I've individually downloaded each of my student's annotated files--but it will be so helpful to be able to download all annotated files at the same time just like I can download all original submissions at the same time. Thank you!

kristi_mehaffey

I agree, please add this feature.  This is something that we need many times for different purposes.  One unique application is we are signing forms through Canvas and we need to download the signed form (annotated) and save it.  We have over 400 students on our site, so downloading each one individually takes too much time.  Please add this feature!!

Ginny

I can see that there have been many comments about how nice it would be to be able to bulk download annotated essays.  (Going back to @ecastro from 2016!)

As a teacher who has just graded 30 essays with copious annotations, I would love to see this feature!  It would make grading essays in this online environment much easier.  

thanks! Ginny

rklassen

This is a very important feature if using Speedgrader.

ewbates

This is a much needed feature.  It is ironic that having to go through SpeedGrader means the process of downloading annotating submissions is anything but speedy.