[DocViewer] Bulk Download of Annotated DocViewer documents by assignment

Instructors can easily bulk-download student submissions, and instructors can individually download the PDF showing the annotations they've made to a student's submission in DocViewer. There is currently no way to bulk download all annotated submissions for an assignment in one click.  Faculty frequently want to keep a portfolio of this feedback / graded work for each student.

Similar requests have been made by Eric Castro and Robert Jones, but haven't received the votes needed.

Added to Theme

66 Comments
curgus
Community Member

Its hard to believe how out of touch the designers are with actual users. If a student wants to discuss the graded work, what do you think I want to look at?  The original assignment? so that I have to rethink through student's work from scratch. Don't you designers understand that the homework is a collaborative process. Students do their work, we comment, give suggestions, ... The final product is the annotated file. 

uwe_zimmermann
Community Participant

Given the total lack of absence of comments from developers here in the forum I wonder if anyone from Instructure is actually following the discussions. Since this seems the only official way to get into contact with them I would surely hope so....

jdm
Community Member

Batch downloading speedgrader annotated pdfs is a feature that has been requested for 4 years, and not yet, apparently implemented.

I have over 50 students in my class. I have to click in the download button 50 times AND manually change the file name. This is a lot of work!

I can batch download the original files (without my annotations). Why not the annotated version?

jessmeyer
Community Member

My district - due to elearning - has chosen canvas as their platform.  I have 167 students.  The fact that I can't batch download is utterly maddening.   As primary and secondary schools migrate to this platform this has to happen.  I spent HOURS annotating and giving comments to my students on their projects under the assumption that they would be able to see those / download those.  I am NOT happy to know I wasted my time and I will spend hours more downloading those files.

Seriously -- we need this feature now.

ehl
Community Member

It seems to me almost malpractice to not implement a bulk-download-of-annotated-submissions feature into Canvas ESPECIALLY IN VIEW OF CIRCUMSTANCES WE ARE NOW IN WITH THE PANDEMIC. When my students were on campus, I felt comfortable requiring that all submission uniformly be as PDF, then I could bulk-download them, mark them up in a markup-capable PDF program and bulk-upload them back. Now, with the varieties of infrastructure insufficiency, i allow the students greater leeway in submission formats, whatever Canvas can handle. Speed Grader then works for markups, but getting the marked-up documents is now a monumental headache. The Canvas folks can, no doubt, implement an easy bulk download with a few minutes of programming. What is the holdup? (I have my suspicions.)

jarcara
Community Novice

Please add this feature! I am using the annotation tool with an Apple pencil, which really helps in saving my hands/wrists from so much typing, but then when I need to go back to remind myself what I have advised a student (we do multiple drafts in my classes), I can only look online unless I've individually downloaded each of my student's annotated files--but it will be so helpful to be able to download all annotated files at the same time just like I can download all original submissions at the same time. Thank you!

kristi_mehaffey
Community Member

I agree, please add this feature.  This is something that we need many times for different purposes.  One unique application is we are signing forms through Canvas and we need to download the signed form (annotated) and save it.  We have over 400 students on our site, so downloading each one individually takes too much time.  Please add this feature!!

Ginny
Community Member

I can see that there have been many comments about how nice it would be to be able to bulk download annotated essays.  (Going back to @ecastro from 2016!)

As a teacher who has just graded 30 essays with copious annotations, I would love to see this feature!  It would make grading essays in this online environment much easier.  

thanks! Ginny

rklassen
Community Novice

This is a very important feature if using Speedgrader.

ewbates
Community Member

This is a much needed feature.  It is ironic that having to go through SpeedGrader means the process of downloading annotating submissions is anything but speedy.