[DocViewer] Bulk Download of Annotated DocViewer documents by assignment

Instructors can easily bulk-download student submissions, and instructors can individually download the PDF showing the annotations they've made to a student's submission in DocViewer. There is currently no way to bulk download all annotated submissions for an assignment in one click.  Faculty frequently want to keep a portfolio of this feedback / graded work for each student.

Similar requests have been made by Eric Castro and Robert Jones, but haven't received the votes needed.

Added to Theme

66 Comments
gravelin
Community Novice

Can we add to this that the STUDENTS should be able to download their own annotations - and be able to view the comments and edits we have provided them in this download? The current "download annotated pdf" option will download a pdf and show where comments SHOULD be (via highlights) but does not actually display the comments themselves. The preview screen on the student-end to view their comments directly in canvas is far too small to be legible, and even if they expand their screen as far is it is allowed in Canvas (which isn't very far) it will never get large enough for them to be able to view the paper itself and the comments along side it - they can only see one or the other, meaning there is a lot of left-to-right scrolling, which means they are going to get frustrated and not even look at the annotations to improve on their papers/learn from their mistakes.

Can someone at Canvas please please please help with this?

erin_desilva
Community Explorer

Hi Jordan - can we see where this request stands other than "on product radar"? Thanks!

lgano
Community Novice

I would also like to have the audio files and the rubric downloaded with each annotated pdf.  At the end of the semester, I no longer have access to the grading rubric so just having the annotated pdf less useful.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

vlad_kolesnikov
Community Novice

Is there a way to revive this feature request?  It seems to me that it is a very-easy-to-add feature, which is essential to me and to many others, I imagine.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@vlad_kolesnikov  Welcome to the Canvas Community! This idea is still open for voting at this writing. If it's something in which you and your associates would be interested, encourage them to vote for it and add their use cases to the comments.

kpalombaro
Community Novice

This is a feature on other, less robust, learning platforms like campus cruiser, so hopefully this can be resolved.

alweight
Community Novice

I for one am astounded this feature isn't available. If we can download one annotated PDF after we grade each student, there ought to be a way to download all at once when we're done. This oversight basically takes all the "speed" out of SpeedGrader. Other than this, Canvas works just fine. Adding this feature ought to be a no-brainer that as a tremendous time-saver would add a great deal of value. Canvas developers, can we please get this done? Thanks!

alweight
Community Novice

I took some time last night as an experiment to see exactly how long this would take. With 55 papers to deal with, it took just a few minutes more than an hour to download the annotated assignments one by one. Bulk-download takes well under a minute. So... not the most effective use of time, to be sure, but at least it's been quantified.

j_avneri
Community Participant

This would be useful. Plus if we also had the option to include the general submission comments.