Bulk Download of TURNITIN Assignments, Error

Presently if you grade a Turnitin assignment within Canvas, it is not possible to do a bulk download of the graded assignments.  This is useful, among other things, for documenting the course for yourself or for accreditation agencies such as ABET.  Worse, what happens is that a screen "this may take a while" appears but nothing ever happens.  Until all bulk downloads are possible, rather than "hanging" Canvas should return and informative error message such as "Sorry, for turnitin assignments, it is only possible to do bulk downloads of the original assignment as submitted."  And, bulk downloads of this kind should be enabled.

6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@rgp  

Have you checked with your local admin to see if it is possible to do this type of download by logging into Turnitin directly?  Since this is not something that is done all the time, this might be a good option for records retention?

lindalee
Community Contributor
rgp
Community Novice

Thanks for providing this information.  In my own experience, I tried a bulk download, it did not work and I contacted Canvas help.  I asked very clearly if there was a work-around.  It seems that there a work-around has been known for a year and a half, at least.  This was not provided by Canvas help, nor was there an "error" message made available by Canvas. If it is too hard to provide a bulk download feature directly within Canvas, I am happy to scale back my suggestion to "since bulk download does not work for turnitin assignments in Canvas, provide information on the work-around through Turnitin preferably automatically but definitely through Canvas help.

dhulsey
Community Champion

@rgp ‌, you can bulk download from the Turnitin assignment inbox (assuming you are using the LTI version of Turnitin in Canvas). Of course, if you want the graded files, you will need to do your grading in Turnitin instead of Canvas. Is that what you are looking for

269665_pastedImage_1.jpg

rgp
Community Novice

At the moment, I just want people who quite naturally, if naively, as I the first time I did it, get told "sorry, we can not do that, here are the work-arounds."  Or, at least they get told that when they call canvas, without having to post suggestions for improvements.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.