Bulk change assignment status

0 Likes
(48)

Can we add a function to bulk change assignment status?

I'm teaching in a HyFlex module currently. For each class meeting, I create an assignment. Students who have attended in person will be given the points; students who missed the class will be able to watch a recording of it, then submit written response within a week to contribute.

Problem is for the students who attended in person and are given a complete grade without them having to submit anything. Once the due date has passed, they are flagged as "missing", even though they have technically completed the assignment (by attending). It's difficult to visually see how students are doing when everything is labeled "missing".

This use case cannot be solved by Canvas simply by removing the status when a grade is given, since it's possible that a late status needs to be preserved. Therefore, we need a way to bulk change assignments for multiple students.

49 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KWright15
Community Member

This absolutely has to happen - It makes no sense that if you enter a grade that the "Missing" designation stays attached to the assignment grade.  It should automatically go away and/or a bulk way to remove "missing" status with a score has been entered.

Mr_E
Community Member

I could also really use this fix. We are on hybrid schedule with half in class/half at home. Same situation. I manually recorded scores for an in-class activity, but it shows missing for everyone who did it in class.  The at-home kids had to upload their submission, and Canvas accepts that as not missing. I have over 200 students this semester, and it seems extraordinarily cumbersome to have to do this individually. As our first grading term is ending, I have been constantly getting emails from students and parents asking why assignments show up as missing. 

huic
Community Participant

FYI folks — I've found a hack solution to this for now.

In my scenario of an assignment that serves dual function of attendance (show up and get the points) and catch-up work (do this follow-up written work), I assign the assignment to everyone without due date. Then I create new due date criteria and give the absent students a specific due date (usually within one week of the class meeting). For folks who don't have a set due date, I can still give them points, and it won't turn to "missing" status ever!

Mr_E
Community Member

Unfortunately, this workaround won't work in my situation. Canvas syncs to my school SIS, but only if due dates are used. It uses the due date to transfer the assignment to the SIS. Many students use the Canvas app to keep track of 'to do' items, which prioritize by due date as well.  I don't have the luxury of being able to keep due dates open. So the workaround would create more issues for me than it 'solves.'

mahein
Community Member

At an elementary level this would be great too. We have new students joining and seeing a whole list of assignments "missing" when they add to our classroom is overwhelming to them. Being able to quickly mark all as excused would be very helpful. I also have some assignments in which the instructions are delivered on canvas but the assignment is summited in person. Once I give them a grade it is still shows as missing, so I have to have a text box so they can say "turned in on paper" then submit that. Being able to change statuses instead of individually would save so much time. 

Ms_K
Community Member

YES PLEASE. My high schoolers are confused seeing 'missing' when they turn in work, and I have hundreds of students. Changing each assignment for each student manually isn't feasible.

VWells63
Community Novice

There are two ways I think that this feature could be improved.  First, if the gradebook could automatically change the status of an assignment to Missing with a score of 0 after the listed due date.  Secondly, if an assignment is turned in after the due date, the gradebook should automatically change the status to Late, and delete the 0, so that there is simply no grade until it is scored by the teacher.

julie_tiedens
Community Member

I would love this. I use so many external tools, from Edpuzzle to Turnitin, and each time I use a tool, the status indicator doesn't work automatically.

First, allowing an option to bulk change assignments to missing when using the "Set Default Grade" function would be great.

Then, if I enter a grade into a formerly missing assignment slot, I'd like it to automatically be switched to "Late."

Pretty please? This is driving me crazy.

stewartm1
Community Explorer

I also need this. I give optional weekly homework and I would like to remove the missing from the students who did not do the assignment. I do not have the time to go through each student and change the assignment to "none." Even if you could highlight all (or multiple) students in the gradebook and then perform the action to change the status, it would be very helpful.

stewartm1
Community Explorer

Another option would be to make it possible to set default grade to EX.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@stewartm1 That is the topic of conversation at Set Default Grade .

NEDuncan
Community Member

It would be helpful for teachers if they could assign missing and/or late to a group of students rather than individually. 

Bohn007
Community Member

I absolutely agree with you all and especially VWells63.  I thought the setting "assign 0 to missing assignments" would be a fix but was shocked when I realized that I had to manually change unsubmitted work to missing, student by student, assignment after assignment. After the due date, this should happen automatically CANVAS! At the very least an option to do it with one click should be available. Such a waste of valuable teacher time when there are so many more important things to do. Even more disturbing is that if I don't waste my time doing it, students who have only turned in a couple of assignments are getting an A in the grade book because it doesn't factor the points of missing assignments into their average.  Ridiculous!!!  Canvas is making too much money to not fix this. 

leann_w
Community Member

I'm ending up doing a ton of alternative assessment types, and sometimes the only thing I can get is when they come to office hours on zoom, they do work with me and I give completion credit. They don't turn in anything but they did the work...they have points but it's red for me and says missing for them. 

The Grade Detail Tray is too cumbersome.

I NEED a toggle for changing MISSING to LATE or NONE.

HOT KEYS. let me click esc+N to turn off late or missing.   PLEASE. 

I tried changing the due date to turn off the pink/red on my gradebook but it shows up in their Sidebar tondonlist and I have 20;11 year olds emailing me about an assignment they already did. The gray font on pink shading is not easy to see either. 

beedees
Community Novice

Please add a toggle for all assignments in each section.  It takes hours to go in and change from missing or late to none.  It is a waste of time and a clunky part of the canvas program.  

If you could do it for all classes at one time that would be even better!

conroyjs
Community Novice

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE I need this.

I can bulk change the grade, but not the status.  Even if I change the grade to completed or a point value the status does not change from missing.  I cannot even see how to change the status in the app. 

Community Novice

With hybrid and quarantine students I also would love to see a way to either bulk change status, or have two types of submissions available.

jasonappel
Community Explorer

Yes please!

earmgardt
Community Member

I agree with Bohn007. 

It takes HOURS of time to go through and manually click on each assignment to make sure it is no longer listed as missing or late. We're a proficiency grading school so late work means nothing for students as long as they turn it in before the end of the Quarter. 

This seems to be primarily an issue with External Tools and Canvas. It would be great to have a toggle switch to remove the missing assignment tag. Or add those options to Speed Grader so I can grade and label at the same time! Even if a student turns in a completed Nearpod and I grade it, it will still be labeled as missing until I go into side panel in the Gradebook. 

PLEASE FIX THIS CANVAS.