Darebee: Buttons that when clicked, enter information into a spreadsheet

0 Likes

Students would go to the teacher’s page, and click a button that represents different activities that they performed that day. Teachers could have pictures of different books, amount of time spent reading, different workouts or exercises, healthy food options, time spent working in journal, service-learning opportunities, etc. When each button is clicked, the information tied to that button and a timestamp would be entered into spreadsheet.  

For example, If a Johnny Smith clicks a button with the picture of someone helping a neighbor at 5:30 on August 18, that data (helping a neighbor/friend) would be sent into a spreadsheet along with the timestamp. Every time a button was clicked another set of data points would be entered into the spreadsheet for Johnny. Every student in the class would have their data entered into the same spreadsheet, 1 row for each student. The information that is submitted in this document could be used to drive classroom discussions, help students track their progress on projects that last for weeks or months, or help teaches to support learning outside of the classroom.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@JC-13 

This sounds like a very intriguing concept—indeed, it is almost analogous to a request for building a completely new feature for Canvas.

Keeping in mind that the Idea Conversations space is designed to facilitate singularly-focused discussions centered around a request for enhancement to an existing Canvas feature, would you provide some examples of where you've seen this type of functionality in action? Perhaps we could move this forward for consideration as a partnership idea with a specific organization that has this already developed.

Thanks.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JC-13 

Just a reminder that we're looking forward to your response; we could potentially move this forward as a request for a specific partner integration. Thanks!

JC-13
Community Member
Author

I am sorry my classes just started and I have been swamped.  I do not know of any apps that can perform what I was describing. I mostly looking at the workout tracking feature. I am the PE coordinator for my district and I am looking for an app that would allow students the ability to easily track and monitor their workouts from home.  Ideally, the student could click a button that would take them to a page and on that page they could and select the activity, reps, sets, etc and that information would be logged into a spreadsheet that only the student and teacher had access to.  This would give teachers the options to help support and monitor progress on fitness goals.  If you could partner with someone, https://darebee.com/ has a lot of good information and they have already developed a few apps.  If you like the idea and Darbee is willing to partner with you, I can jump on a zoom call to better explain what features  could be included in the app.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@JC-13 

Thanks for your response. We will move this forward as a request for a partnership integration with Darebee. Please know that a joint project that involves a third-party partner requires the partner to be willing to devote resources to its development as well, so please reach out to your contacts at Darebee to let them know of your interest.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.