Calendar Events

0 Likes
(3)

I would like to suggest the ability for teachers to assign/sign up students for a calendar appointment time slot that the teacher created.

Thank you!

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

erin99
Community Member

I would like to suggest the ability for teachers to assign/sign up students for a calendar appointment time slot that the teacher created.

Thank you!

RobDitto
Community Champion

@erin99 , please consider rating and/or commenting on this closely-related idea about appointments in the Calendar:

(Years ago, the appointment groups feature was once presented in a Scheduler view of the Calendar, hence the name of the feature idea.)

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

This is DESPERATELY needed during virtual learning. Our teachers and students are heavily reliant on the Canvas calendar to track when their virtual meetings are taking place. Case managers, counselors, ESOL teachers, OTs, PTs, psychologists, reading teachers (shall I go on?) all do 1:1 or small group sessions and do not have an effective way to add their events on the student's calendars. We are using groups as a work around, but parents don't have access to the Group space/calendar so that's a problematic solution for our K-5 families that are helping their children navigate while home, and ultimately it's not what Groups were designed for. The appointment feature already exists on the calendar, we just need teachers to have permissions to create an appoint for a student rather than limiting that feature to student sign-up only. This would resolve soooo many issues for us while we are virtual.

rblumjose
Community Explorer

YES, PLEASE put this into effect for all reasons above. I need to schedule 1:1 meetings with students and since they are younger I need a notification to be on their to-do and sent to their inbox where they can click and attend a conference within Canvas.  Using the Assignment groups isn't a replacement because I want the students to be invited to a specific time that I decide, not sign up.

Nhadley12
Community Participant
Problem statement:

At this time in Canvas, when a teacher creates an appointment for students in Canvas, teachers are unable to ADD those students to the appointment, but rather must rely on them to sign up.

Proposed solution:

It would be beneficial for teachers to be able to sign students up or assign those events to the students' calendar.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.