[Calendar] Edit or Delete Series of Events

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta •  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-10-21) 

I created a series of recurring events in the calendar. My weekly office hours for recurring on Tuesdays for 8 weeks. Unfortunately I had the wrong information and needed to delete the series. When I went in to delete I did not get the option to delete or edit the series.  I could only delete each calendar even individually I could not edit or delete the entire series.

Added to Theme

35 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kfritch1 , you'll find directions for editing a calendar event in  How do I edit an event or assignment in the Calendar? 

Turning to the second part of the idea, as noted in the blue section of How do I add and duplicate an event in the Calendar as an instructor? , 

Once created in a course calendar, duplicate events are not linked together and are independent events. Therefore, if users need to modify an event, each event has to be modified individually. Additionally, duplicate events can only be created when creating a new event; editing an existing event does not display the duplicate option.

With this in mind, would you modify the idea description so that it focuses on a request for the ability to bulk-edit all of the individual events associated with a particular recurring entry?

Thanks.

kfritch1
Community Novice

I created recurring weekly office hours for 8 weeks.  I did not have all of the correct information in the series. I went in to edit and I could only edit each individual event.  I did not have the option to edit the entire series.  Unfortunately I had to go in and delete each event and try again. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@kfritch1 , yes, what you have described is how the repeating events functionality is currently designed. Your idea description asks for two different things, one of which—the ability to edit a single event—is already possible. Would you please edit the description so that it focuses solely on being able to edit a set of repeating events as a series?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for making the request edit, Kim! We've opened this idea for community consideration.

kfritch1
Community Novice

Thank you!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

jasmor
Community Explorer

The ability to bulk edit/delete calendar events is CRUCIAL, especially when you accidentally schedule a series of incorrect Zoom meetings (I can't be the only one!). 

ShawnGatz
Community Novice

About 7-10 clicks per class to make a recurring calendar events that will last the school year....YEA!!!!

Realizing there was 1 mistake that was copied onto every one of those events..... drat.

Trying to fix or delete the events one at a time....PRICELESS!

5 Classes X 2 events per day X 180 school days X 6 clicks to edit (or 3 clicks to delete) = 10800 clicks

OR

5 Classes X 2 events per day X 180 school days X  3 clicks to delete = 5400 clicks and then having to redo the recurring event and hope you don't make another mistake

VS.

CANVAS ALLOWING TEACHERS TO CHOOSE MULTIPLE EVENTS TO DELETE OR EDIT AT ONCE.

Tasha_Biesinger
Community Contributor

We've had several faculty ask how they can update their recurring meetings in the Canvas Calendar - and be very frustrated when they can't, and even more frustrated when they can't bulk delete them to start again. It would be fabulous if faculty could bulk update recurring meetings, but to be able to bulk delete would be a great first step.

Also - how do we vote on ideas these days?

julie_mills
Community Member

Agree 100%.  This has made a ton of work for our teachers over the weekend before school starts.  Thanks for suggesting!

jmeikrantz
Community Member

This feature is 100% past due. We've been able to change recurring events on Google Calendar and other platforms for 10+ years. This wasted well over 6 hours for me this pre-service week.