[Calendar] Edit or Delete Series of Events

This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta •  How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-10-21) 

I created a series of recurring events in the calendar. My weekly office hours for recurring on Tuesdays for 8 weeks. Unfortunately I had the wrong information and needed to delete the series. When I went in to delete I did not get the option to delete or edit the series.  I could only delete each calendar even individually I could not edit or delete the entire series.

Added to Theme

35 Comments
FosterTheMusic
Community Member

I whole-heartedly agree with all this!  My district just changed our schedule, so I need to go back and, one-by-one, edit each of the meetings that I already entered.  It's definitely NOT the best use of my time at the moment.  An option to "edit/delete this and all future events" similar to Google Calendar would be extremely helpful.  

BruceF
Community Member

I have hundreds of names and events posted in single days on my Calendar. We migrated from BlackBoard to Canvas in 2020. I recognize some names from 10-15 years ago. Somehow, the events have been saved in BB over the years and accumulated in the Canvas Calendar. The Canvas chat person communicated that my only option was to individually delete these and they shouldn’t show in the future when I copied the course.  This will take hours to complete instead of a few simple clicks.

If previous events will show in future course Calendars and “clog” the day boxes of the Calendar, it makes it better not to use this feature of Canvas. The purpose of having repeating events is to be more efficient. This isn’t efficient.

pwiltshireuts
Community Member

Agreed!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: In Development

james_erekson
Community Explorer

And this is a typical feature of calendaring apps such as outlook, ical and google calendar. If people create a recurring event, they expect the occurrences of that event to be linked, so that if the place changes in one, it changes in all. If any changes at all happen, and instructors have to go in and kill 16 appointments for the entire semester just to make a simple change to the event, that's not a helpful calendar. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi! With the start of a new year, Instructure has adjusted the Product Roadmap and priorities. Instructure hopes to revisit this idea again in the future.

james_erekson
Community Explorer

All other calendaring apps I use ask me if I intend to kill the single appointment only, or the entire series. Please add this functionality!  Having a recurring calendar series without being able to edit the series defeats a main purpose for the series feature: to automate repetitive tasks.

What if I make an appointment but mistakenly click the calendar ahead and extend a three-week recurring appointment for more than a year? As the feature exists now, I would have to go in and delete 52+ instances or else the appointment would continue to show up for my students. 

For me, Canvas brings forward and re-calendars last semester's zoom meetings every time I import course materials from a previous section for use in the new section in the current semester. So I have to go in and kill 16 outdated zoom meetings every time I import. 

danielle_recino
Community Member

This would also be helpful for students who use it for tracking things like extra-curricular events or study sessions!

Community Member

when editing a calendar item  that repeats there is no option to change all future events it will only edit the current event!!! 

SuzanneShanks
Community Member

Bulk delete and bulk edit for events (especially duplicated events) is absolutely essential. No question. As a brand new user I am astonished it's not enabled yet because it seems like such a basic function.  Please make this feature ASAP.