Calendar Should Efficiently Select a Single Course

0 Likes

When Calendar is selected in the Global Navigation Panel all the events from ALL my courses (semester courses, course development templates, experimental sandbox courses, etc...) are simultaneously displayed. The elimination of events for unwanted displayed courses is achieved by the following tedious manual operation: Go to the course panel that is displayed on the right side of calendar and cycle through ALL the courses and click on the boxes associated with all the courses that you want to deactivate from being displayed in the calendar.  Leave only the course that you want to create an event for. Clearly there must be a better and more efficient way to do a course isolation in the calendar.

Proposed Solution: Have a box in the Course Box displayed on the right side of the Calendar, Clicking on this box will automatically activate ALL the courses. Clicking again will automatically deactivate ALL the courses. Then very quickly and efficiently scroll to the single course that you would like to create an event for and activate this course by clicking on the box that is adjacent to this course. This method can also be used to deactivate ALL the courses and activate only some or ALL the current semester courses to be displaced in Calendar. The choice is yours. Perhaps Calendar can also be "trained" to remember the activated courses for the next time Calendar is clicked on. This Calendar "memory" will improve Canvas users' efficiency and productivity. Students will also benefit from the implementation of this Calendar enhancement request.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@VHDL2STA 

I'm sorry to learn that you're finding creating events on a specific calendar to be such a convoluted process. Fortunately, there's a much easier way to accomplish this using Canvas design.

When a user clicks on a date on the calendar, the Event modal pops up. The Calendar selection field at the bottom of the modal allows the user to choose from all activated calendars. You'll see that described in the See Event Details section of  How do I add an event to a course calendar?  (Number 5 on the screenshot designates the dropdown). Selecting the desired calendar will create the event on that calendar alone.

Thanks.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Thank you Stephanie. Yes your method works when creating calendar events.

But when I first go into calendar I do not want to see a very busy calendar based on events from all my courses, some of which are developmental templates, sandboxes, etc. Instead I want to efficiently select the events from a single course to look at.  Do you have any suggestions?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@VHDL2STA  Users can disable any and all calendars they don't wish to have displaying, and generally speaking, users who are enrolled in courses that are effectively developmental templates and sandboxes don't include those in their calendar view.

The Canvas Calendar displays up to 10 selected calendars—when I tried to enable more than 10 the previously-enabled calendars removed themselves—and so with only 10 calendars enabled, I was able to scroll through my list and enable/disable calendars in a matter of seconds. I realize that this is the precise obstacle cited in the idea description, but it's also a very fast operation that might well take a user less time than following the steps in the suggested remedy.

That said, we recommend that users refrain from being prescriptive in their feature idea suggestions. Instead of proposing a solution, would you create an idea that simply sets forth the problem statement? How do I create a new idea conversation in the Canvas Community? explains the nuances of creating an idea prompt. An idea description on the order of "The current method for viewing all events for a single course on the Calendar is too cumbersome and time-consuming, and I would prefer a faster way than the current method of enabling or disabling courses in my calendar view" would fit the bill.

Thanks.

VHDL2STA
Community Member

Stefanie,

Thank you for your follow-up to my feature request.

Also in the future I will not propose solutions to my Canvas concerns. Sorry, my education and career choices have turned me into a "problem solver".

Thanks for all your help