Calendar for each Section within a Course

0 Likes
(4)

I cross-listed my course sections to make building the course easier.  However, my ability to schedule calendar events for each section no longer exists.  At the secondary level, each section represents a different period/block of the day, and therefore will need to be represented by different calendar events and preferably, different calendar colors.  It would be great if this could be added as an option.  

Also, I would love the option to mass delete a recurring calendar event, instead of going in one by one to do so.

12 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@vorndran 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for general conversation, we'll invite you and other participants who favor the second idea contained in the description—"mass delete a recurring event"—to go over and add their comments to the discussion already underway at Calendar Series .

Tamar5
Community Member

I teach different sections of my course on different days. I would like to be able to select the section my calendar event applies to in the same way that I can select which section my assignment is for. That would make the Calendar a much more useful tool for me.

mmmleee8
Community Novice

I have divided my course (caseload, I'm a related service provider) into sections.  I'd like each section to see on their calendar when they have a group with me.  I'd also like to link the invite to our zoom sessions. 

acohnaea
Community Member

Our school has multiple elementary teachers (as many as 15 per grade) sharing 1 grade level course with different sections all requiring different Zoom links for live classes. This feature would make it possible for younger users to find everything they need-- links for live lessons, groups, and assignments all in one place. This feature would be so amazing for their independence and for management from teacher's perspective. 

raudabaughwill
Community Explorer

Hello,

Currently, when a teacher posts something on Canvas Calendar, it posts for their whole course.   It would be great if they can post things on Canvas Calendar based on sections of a course, not the course as a whole.   The reason I say this is because teachers have links to their Google Meets.  They designate one for each hour they teacher.  Right now, students are seeing links for all hours.  If their was a differentiation tool for Canvas Calendar, this could be fixed.  

Thank you!

wagnerpj63
Community Explorer

I agree that this is functionality that needs to be added.  When adding meetings or Zoom links to the calendar for different periods, having the ability to choose which section each meeting is for would be very beneficial not just for the teacher but also the students and observers so that their calendar and to-do list is not cluttered with events not pertaining to them.

chacklander
Community Novice

+1 for being able to create calendars for each section of a course. I teach 5 periods of the same class, and if I schedule events on the calendar, it shows up for every section. If each section had it's own calendar, the students calendar would be much clearer and less cluttered. 

JnortonRN
Community Explorer

On the calendars page, it would be ideal if each section's calendar could be separate and a different color. This would be particularly helpful for class sections that have rolling and overlapping start and end dates.

momansky
Community Novice

For classes with two sections (Section A and Section B), in which the faculty is teaching to both sections on the same day, at different times, it would be helpful if the classroom sessions could be put on the Canvas calendar such that students in Section A would only see their classroom sessions and the same for Section B (only seeing their sessions). As it stands now, students see all sessions (Sections A and B) and half of them are not relevant for them.

Chip_Tomek
Community Member

Our law school faculty often teach multiple sections of the same course.  We use the cross-listing feature to help facilitate this model.  They are able to target content for most items in Canvas except for events in the calendar.  One of our early adopters brought this to our attention while trying to set up class meeting times in the calendar.  We, too, would love to see this added as a new feature.

In the meantime, does anyone know of a work-around we can use?  This is a 1st year Contracts course with multiple sections meeting multiple times a week at different times.  We are concerned the calendar will be very difficult for students to use.

EdwardSwaine
Community Novice
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.