[Admin Tools] Campus level IEP settings for a student that Admins can set

It would be nice to have at the Admin level that when a student has an IEP for let us say 1.5x or 2x on their exams or assignments that we can go in and put that info in at a student level that automatically carries over to all their classes and automatically sets those times for the student.

17 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

TTurnerMD
Community Novice

This would be SO helpful.  I want to set a late submission policy across my gradebook, but will then have to go in an individually unmark the Late status for any student with extended time.  My other option would be to individually assign each student with extended time, but then I'd have to add 35-40 students separately for every assignment.  Making a separate section for extended time and assigning that would mess up the syncing with Synergy (per Canvas Support).  Either way, so much clicking.

arovner
Community Contributor

This is a FABULOUS idea even for college level courses where we do our accommodations differently. It adds a level of assurance for the student and Student Accessibility Services that the student is receiving their legal accommodations.

jeannkle
Community Member

This would be hugely beneficial to our students who have arranged for extra time accommodations, but also to our faculty, who must remember to add time for each student with this need for each assignment/quiz/etc. If this process could be more automated, both students and faculty would benefit greatly!

hlovett
Community Participant

Agreed! This would be so helpful across many different programs. 

dspiel
Community Participant

If not at admin level... at the least at a course level for a student.  Maybe set under People of a course, but at the top level would go across all courses saving time for all teachers.

lfoster2
Community Member

This feature would be helpful for my office (Disability Support Services) and for all faculty that provide accommodations. The workload faculty are facing with the new online only shift is high and this would help them not miss an accommodation for students. If not at the admin level, then at least from the faculty level. 

yuritzil
Community Novice

This would be extremely beneficial and more equitable to our students who have requested extra time accommodations. Additionally, it also supports faculty as they currently must remember to add time for each student with this need for each assignment/quiz/etc.

asells
Community Explorer

A much needed setting!  🙂

IEP = Individualized Education Program

sukirti_ranade
Community Explorer

A feature that will be extremely beneficial to our students who have arranged for extra time accommodations. This feature is needed either at the admin level or within a course. If this process could be more automated, both students and faculty would benefit.