[Gradebook] Can't a letter grade just be a letter grade?

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I gave a tough exam where a score of 73/100 was an A-. In Canvas's grading section, I report to students what score they got (like a 73) and what grade that translates into. Then this appears to the students as a score of "73", and as "93 (A-)", with both of these numbers seemingly going into the aggregate score average reported at the bottom. Needless to say, this causes a great deal of confusion.

Is there a way that I can get Canvas to simply report a grade of A- as a grade of A-, rather than as some fictitious number that I won't be using in computing their cumulative course grade? Thanks for any insights on this.

Added to Theme

61 Comments
TracyWomack
Community Member

Howdy! I would like to be able to NOT have the percentages show to students and parents. I want them to see the final letter grade without the percentage. The reason for this is that we use a 4 point grading scale, and equitable grading where each grade spans 20%. This totally confuses parents because they view percentages in the old inequitable 90% = A 80% = B format. When their child has 65% and it shows B, they cannot understand it. Is there a way to remove the percent from the view of parents and students and just show the letter grade? 

Thank you for helping me with this. 

JESSICAIVIE1
Community Member

Yes! As we move to standards based grading, we have changed the grading schemes to reflect that mathematically and have also started selecting "Display grade as... letter grade" when setting up assignments. Our problem is now, on the student's end, they STILL see the percentage.

If we select display grade as letter grade, why do students see it differently? Shouldn't they see the letter grade if that is selected? Also, it would be great to have a setting that can still use your mathematic calculations, but "Students see only letter grades" for the course even if the grading scheme is set using percentages. 

dbdbdb
Community Member

I fully support the end result being what it says in the Assignment settings.  If you set it to Display Grade As and choose Letter Grade (and assign a specific scheme), it still fully displays the points. We are working on contract grading, and so do not want any numbers to show at all.  Could this be implemented? Or, a sub-setting in assignments to "hide numeric grade" if Letter Grade is chosen?

pvd4
Community Novice

My students are ranked and grades are given using a curve so there is no numeric cutoff for any particular grade.  I would like the option to just show a letter grade without the corresponding numeric equivalent.  It is just confusing for my students

TRAVISHENDERSON
Community Member

This is becoming more and more of a common issue as Standards Based or Competency Based grading become more popular. Hopefully Canvas can fix this issue so schools can effectively communicate learning levels to students and families without the confusion of the traditional point/percentage expectations. 

MichaelOps
Community Member

This is perhaps one of the most important feature requests I have seen. In structors need the ability to hide points and percentages and just display letter grades.

I've set up a grading scheme based on letter grades, but Canvas still displays point values and percentages (in addition to the correct letter grade) to the student. This happens in assignments, rubrics, and the grade book.

Just let me hide points and percentages altogether, please.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

This feature is available in Beta. For more information, please read through the 
Canvas Release Notes (2023-09-16) 

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?