Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't a letter grade just be a letter grade?

Can't a letter grade just be a letter grade?

(12)

I gave a tough exam where a score of 73/100 was an A-. In Canvas's grading section, I report to students what score they got (like a 73) and what grade that translates into. Then this appears to the students as a score of "73", and as "93 (A-)", with both of these numbers seemingly going into the aggregate score average reported at the bottom. Needless to say, this causes a great deal of confusion.

Is there a way that I can get Canvas to simply report a grade of A- as a grade of A-, rather than as some fictitious number that I won't be using in computing their cumulative course grade? Thanks for any insights on this.

56 Comments
EWaxenbaum

It would be great if faculty could manually post a letter grade and doesn't have an associated numeric value so we could fudge values as needed without changing any of their numeric grades. 

tim_osullivan

Still waiting for a reply from Canvas...

ken_i_mayer
Community Member

It is imperative that instructors have the ability to choose how grades are communicated to students. Give us the freedom to offer either letter grades, numerical grades, or both. It makes sense that Canvas's underlying algorithms require each grade to have a numerical value, but there's no reason that that value needs to be shared with students.

Instructure, please! This fix should not be that difficult and would win so much good will among faculties and teachers everywhere.

Hiding stuff on a webpage is not rocket science, people.

tim_osullivan

Heading into the start of a new academic year, and still no response from Canvas. Quelle surprise!

jrowan1

When grading students in the lower grades, it is important to encourage mastery which may not be depicted with a traditional letter grade. It is for that reason, the grades O, S, N, and U are used in our school district. Traditionally, these letters do not have a percentage attached to their meaning; however, your gradebook does not allow us to have the option of taking away the view of the percentage which does not align with our practice nor our values. We need a way to conceal the percentage to observers and students as it is not relevant to them in grades K-2. The solutions offered to us suggested hiding the overall grade for the students and observers, but then they don't know their overall grade. This does not solve our problem, but it does add to confusion for parents learning the program. Could you please create a way for this to happen?

PAMELASHEARER

When grading students in the lower grades, it is important to encourage mastery which may not be depicted with a traditional letter grade. It is for that reason, the grades O, S, N, and U are used in our school district. Traditionally, these letters do not have a percentage attached to their meaning; however, your gradebook does not allow us to have the option of taking away the view of the percentage which does not align with our practice nor our values. We need a way to conceal the percentage to observers and students as it is not relevant to them in grades K-2. The solutions offered to us suggested hiding the overall grade for the students and observers, but then they don't know their overall grade. This does not solve our problem, but it does add to confusion for parents learning the program. Could you please create a way for this to happen?

AnnaMiaFennell

AMANDAGROFF

ken_i_mayer
Community Member

I thought that the request for just letter grades were coming from universities and higher education, but now I see that basically ALL of INSTRUCTURE's clients are clamoring for it.

Can you PLEASE make this little fix in the gradebook?

This is not rocket science.

pointlessletter

Is there a way to provide students with letter grades for an assignment that either (1) do not have an equivalent value in points or (2) are configured so the students cannot see the points associated with the letter grade?

For example, final grades calculated outside Canvas and inputted as letters are getting converted to numeric values (top of range for some rubric) that are not representative of an actual score, and this can lead to students being confused about their grade.

ken_i_mayer
Community Member

@pointlessletter There isn't a way to do that simple task (either 1 or 2) in Canvas. The closest that you can do is set up a special grading scheme with each letter as worth 1 (A=4, B=3,C=2,D=1, F=0), but Canvas insists on displaying numbers and percentages, especially in any sum of assignments (such as "All quizzes" or "Final Grade").

TracyWomack

Howdy! I would like to be able to NOT have the percentages show to students and parents. I want them to see the final letter grade without the percentage. The reason for this is that we use a 4 point grading scale, and equitable grading where each grade spans 20%. This totally confuses parents because they view percentages in the old inequitable 90% = A 80% = B format. When their child has 65% and it shows B, they cannot understand it. Is there a way to remove the percent from the view of parents and students and just show the letter grade? 

Thank you for helping me with this. 

JESSICAIVIE1

Yes! As we move to standards based grading, we have changed the grading schemes to reflect that mathematically and have also started selecting "Display grade as... letter grade" when setting up assignments. Our problem is now, on the student's end, they STILL see the percentage.

If we select display grade as letter grade, why do students see it differently? Shouldn't they see the letter grade if that is selected? Also, it would be great to have a setting that can still use your mathematic calculations, but "Students see only letter grades" for the course even if the grading scheme is set using percentages. 

dbdbdb

I fully support the end result being what it says in the Assignment settings.  If you set it to Display Grade As and choose Letter Grade (and assign a specific scheme), it still fully displays the points. We are working on contract grading, and so do not want any numbers to show at all.  Could this be implemented? Or, a sub-setting in assignments to "hide numeric grade" if Letter Grade is chosen?

pvd4

My students are ranked and grades are given using a curve so there is no numeric cutoff for any particular grade.  I would like the option to just show a letter grade without the corresponding numeric equivalent.  It is just confusing for my students

TRAVISHENDERSON

This is becoming more and more of a common issue as Standards Based or Competency Based grading become more popular. Hopefully Canvas can fix this issue so schools can effectively communicate learning levels to students and families without the confusion of the traditional point/percentage expectations.