Canvas App Notifications

0 Likes
(1)

Before Fall 2021, there was a notification option that Canvas app users could receive notifications if someone responded to their post but now that function is disabled. This defeats the purpose of the mobile app and forces students to receive a large number of emails since that is the only way to receive this notification at this time. The point of the app is to provide simplicity but that is not the case anymore and allows students to miss responding to each other due to mobile notifications missing. Even when the email option is enabled, it sends emails for responses to any posts which increases the number of emails coming through in a day and week. 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

8 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi  @Wretched0123456 -

I'm sorry that the missing notifications are causing you frustration. I understand that it's important to feel connected to your coursework.

I have a couple of questions for you before your Idea is opened for the Community:

1. Have you double-checked your notification settings? How do I manage my Canvas notification settings as a student? 
  2. Do you subscribe to your DIscussions? How do I subscribe to a discussion as a student? 
  3. Have you submitted a ticket and worked with Support? How do I get help with Canvas as a student? 

Wretched0123456
Community Member

Hi @KristinL

I had reached out to a Canvas user tech yesterday who confirmed that this functionality was disabled/removed by Canvas. I have gone through the steps checking the Canvas app and Canvas browser site setting area where the functionality was once there but now crossed out with call-out text stating "Notifications Unsupported". Their best solution was to set up weekly email notifications which again causes excess emails and allows students to miss classmates' responses to their initial post. 

The functionality currently is not as distinctive between responding to a person's own post vs responding to any post. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Wretched0123456 - 

While SMS alerts have been discontinued, push notifications will send an alert to your phone from Canvas Student. I am able to see Discussions listed, and I hope you are too!

How do I set Notification Preferences in the Student app on my iOS device? 

How do I set Notification Preferences in the Student app on my Android device? 

Wretched0123456
Community Member

Hi @KristinL

This post is specific to the notification post via the Canvas app in regards to Discussion Posts - User's Original Post - receiving notifications via the app for only responses to the user's original post which is no longer an active feature. 

Noted the other notification features are working fine, the call out is that students are no longer notified to post only pertaining to their own initial post within a discussion. Receiving large amounts of notifications for everyone's response is excessive either by Canvas App or email updates. I do not know the reason why Canvas removed this great function but the tech support user suggested that I make a post to suggest that this feature be enabled by the company. Whether it is push notification or SMS alert, the feature has a greyed out "X" sign that states "Notifications Unsupported" when you move censor over it for push notifications to be received by all devices. The functionality concern was not SMS alerts which I have never received from Canvas and wouldn't want to. The functionality is the push notifications from the Canvas app that another student replied to my initial post not that a student posted their initial post or commented on other. 

Feel free to have someone else from the tech team reach out but, unfortunately, this specific function was disabled by Canvas itself. The workaround is just constantly checking the Discussion under the original post to see if anyone responded. 

Thank you for providing the How To's but they do not solve the functionality that was disabled by Canvas and would like this suggestion to be provided to the team. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Wretched0123456 -

I understand what you are explaining now. While there are some alerts with discussions with the Canvas Student app, the notifications for replies were removed from the set of options, yes. Thank you for your willingness to describe the situation in a couple of different ways! 

There is an already-existing idea open with this request. I hope you are able to join the discussion there and star (rate) the idea. Bring back push notifications for discussion boards. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Wretched0123456
Community Member

Hi @KristinL

Is there another process to voice this concern to Canvas, just read through the post you referenced and users on there are also trying to understand why would Cnavase remove this viable notification feature. This is not a user-driven issue but more of a development team issue and should have been brought to Canvas user's attention as not only students and teachers rely on this feature. 

It is just dishearting that the simple solution is this feature be reinstated or a better solution that does not result in a bunch of emails that do not even meet the feature's intended purpose. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Wretched0123456 -

Because of today's conversation, there are a few teams reevaluating this setting. The reasons for the change are also being reviewed. Keep an eye on the thread linked above and the Mobile Release Notes for updates.

Thank you for taking the time to collaborate today!