Canvas Commons Preview

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great if you could preview the actual content you find in Commons before you download it.  This is especially true in regards to modules.  I want to be able to see the quiz questions instead of just knowing there is a quiz in it.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-01-05).

Discover more in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview/pages/...

96 Comments
SHEBENE
Community Champion

I agree with  @MattHanes  on this. We would prefer no answers. It creates more info to look at (overload) and potentially opens up a test security vulnerability. I really, really love the idea of previews in general though. LOVE IT!

kmatson
Community Explorer

We would like to see the previews as well but agree that no answers should be shared on quizzes.

Another thought though - the documents that we can view now - can we lock down the preview? Faculty often have answer keys they would share with other faculty but if students or others can see this in the preview that would be bad. Can we add a password to this so only those with a password could preview? This is kind of like the password on files in courses in my thinking.

Karen Matson

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Deactivated user​, is there any update on this feature idea? Thanks!

rgibson1
Community Champion

I may be wrong, but I think Preview is now available. https://guides.instructure.com/m/38287/l/321983-how-do-i-preview-resources-in-commons

This is the primary reason we've held off on Commons. Without a Preview, we think the entire idea of Commons would never gain traction with our faculty. Who wants to download a course only to find out it doesn't meet the instructors' needs? I think NOW we may enable it.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Rob:

I would think, and that was our stance when we enabled Commons as soon as it became available, is that the Commons serves two main purposes: 1) as a repository for content, and 2) as a place to share content; and not just between faculty in your own school but users world-wide. OER is very important at our school and in our state system.

Yes, preview is great, I am happy, and this feature was needed; but I would not hold up Commons because it wasn't there.

KLM

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

rgibson1​, your link tried to take me to your Outlook inbox! Yet, I was able to find the document you are referring to: How do I preview resources in Commons?. Unfortunately I think what they mean by "preview resources" isn't necessarily what this feature idea (and many faculty/admins) are wanting.

Below is a screen shot of a "preview" of the Module content of a course in Commons. Yes, it shows the names of the Modules and how many items are in the Modules, but none of this is clickable or expandable. This is all you get. Same thing if you click on Assignments, Pages, Quizzes (from the left on the Commons page). You get a list of resources, but that's it. No indication of what's actually in or on these resources.

CommonsPreview.png

Hope this doesn't necessarily change your mind about Commons, I still find it very valuable and useful... just not quite as much as if there really was a way to preview the actual content. Smiley Wink

traciebosket
Community Champion

I would absolutely love this feature. There are so many great looking courses and templates in Commons. To preview them would be  a huge time saver.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Thanks for sleuthing this out for everybody, Kona!

I agree - we need a true preview tool! As an admin, it is easy for me to dump something into an empty shell I created just for that purpose, but still time-consuming. Faculty do not always have the luxury of empty shells laying around. Then, if you like the resource, you again need to move it into its final destination. Too many steps that a good preview tool could limit.

Let's hope this gain traction!

Agent K.

cbspencer
Community Novice

I was hoping Commons would give me a head start in course development, but it takes more time to import, sift through material, and delete what I don't need than to simply create it from scratch. Implementation of this feature would mean I would actually USE material posted in Commons, rather than ignoring it.

ktesterman
Community Novice

The ability to preview pages would significantly improve the usage of the Commons.  I dislike having to import something into our "playground" to view it.  Thank you.