Canvas Commons Preview

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great if you could preview the actual content you find in Commons before you download it.  This is especially true in regards to modules.  I want to be able to see the quiz questions instead of just knowing there is a quiz in it.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-01-05).

Discover more in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview/pages/...

96 Comments
doldfield
Community Novice

Please allow previews of the content before we import or download!  Come on Canvas! 

jodi_petersime
Community Member

The picture and description provided on the Commons page is not enough.  Teachers cannot see what is in the course they are importing from canvas.  Due to it populating in several places, imports often spread like a spiderweb with in an existing sand box.  I would love to be able to see what the course includes - preview of the modules, structure, and resources within the course.  If I am importing a quiz, I need to see a preview of the questions.  If there was a preview similar to what Teachers Pay Teachers use, it would improve functionality of this potentially great resource.  As it stands right now, use is very time consuming and not super friendly.  Order of development (over all course, quiz, assignment, then pages).  I am not sure discussions are worth the time.  Thanks Deactivated user​

rgibson1
Community Champion

Agreed. Install > determine it won't work > reset course > rinse and repeat.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

Just sayin'  it's not too encouraging when things as crucial as this are apparently in stall mode. 

james_sanzin
Community Champion

@Kate Magee I feel that first priority should be to preview Assignments, although I would love to be able to preview and entire course.  Most of the time I will import a course only to find out it is dependent on textbooks and resources our school does not have. 

blangston
Community Participant

We really need the ability to preview quiz questions before downloading into our course. Often times you import a quiz from commons, look for the quiz in your quiz section, review it and then determine it is not something you will use. So you delete it and start over or just end up making your own. It wastes a lot of time. 

traciebosket
Community Champion

@Kate McGee

I vote for Pages First. With to content, you can create quizzes, etc. But if you start with a quiz, you don't know what content you are quizzing on.

Side question: Why is there a significant delay when you type something in the Community?

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Tracie,

I'm not sure what you mean about the delay.  I don't experience anything like that and I haven't heard other reports.  Can you be more specific?

blangston
Community Participant

I also have encountered s lag when typing in the search box.

Kathy Langston

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Ah, Ok, I was thinking of typing in the rich content editor, like this comment.  When you search are you using the large search box in the middle of the page or the global search icon that is in the upper right corner?