Canvas Commons Preview

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be great if you could preview the actual content you find in Commons before you download it.  This is especially true in regards to modules.  I want to be able to see the quiz questions instead of just knowing there is a quiz in it.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-01-05).

Discover more in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview/pages/...

96 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

cordelial 

Thank you for your inquiry.  There are not updates at this time.  Please continue to follow this idea and you will receive a notification if/when the thread is updated!

bogardde
Community Participant

I've just stumbled on this idea thread (I'm always amazed at items that somehow miss my notice - so many ideas, so little time!) and was surprised that no one had yet mentioned that the #Khaki 2017 group voted this as Priority #9 at Instructure back in April...which means it made the "cut" to be worked into the engineering priorities for this year. Here is the cut list - Khaki 2017: Priorities & Related Ideas

I worked on the team that was tasked with quickly sketching up a rough idea about the way this preview tool might work and look. It was a fascinating and informative process, as a few of us non-engineer types had the rare opportunity to actually converse with a Canvas engineer. We came away with some great insights about how easy or hard it would be to build the different functions of a tool like this, and overall I pretty excited to know that it was definitely a do-able thing.

In any case, I hope it helps to know that this feature idea is not moldering away in some dark corner of the Community.

stephanie_koshi
Community Novice

This idea was posted a long time ago (2015).  Any chance this is going to be actioned?  As a large institution we can really see some amazing benefits of commons as a resource however, many don't currently use it, as it is too painful to download something just to see if it is what you want it to be.  Being able to see a preview is absolutely vital to commons being usable.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @stephanie_koshi  Welcometo the Canvas Community! There was just some new information shared last week that relates to this idea. You can read more at Khaki 2018 Update

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Idea is currently in development
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

For more information, explore the Priority: Commons Search & Preview

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey everyone, 

We will be releasing Commons Preview in stages. We'll first release the ability to preview Assignments, Pages, Discussions and Quizzes. Modules and Courses are a bit more complex and will be released later. 

MattHanes
Community Champion

This is awesome news!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-01-05).

Discover more in the https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/commons/projects/user-group-commons-preview" modif...

jhough
Community Participant

Hooray! Thank you!