[Commons] Canvas Commons: Share Syllabus to Commons

Rationale: It would be useful to be able to share a syllabus page similar to how sharing a content or wiki page works. This would allow departments to share syllabus templates to Canvas Commons for faculty to import into their course. It would also allow faculty to share syllabi examples with each other.

Added to Theme

14 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you Adam!  Great idea.  I have moved it to the Commons Feature Ideas​ where it can be available for voting right away.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks  @Renee_Carney ​. I knew there was a special place for these!

schneijs
Community Novice

Thank you, Adam! I was going to add this same idea. This would be so helpful.

macaulayl
Community Member

I agree.  We have used the Syllabus page as the home page for all of our courses and have designed it so that all students have a consistent experience.  But now, I need an easy way to share that design with everyone and commons is the way to go!  (And I don't want to have to share a whole course that has nothing in it but a syllabus to accomplish that!)

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

In order to moderate all Canvas ideas similarly under one voting process, this idea has been moved from Canvas Commons (back) to Canvas Feature Ideas area and will continue to be open for vote until June 1, 2016. Please refer to How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

arovner
Community Contributor

This is a great idea!  Our Disability Services folks would love access to faculty syllabi BEFORE the quarter begins so that they can review them with their students to see if the class is a good fit for the student.  In my dream world, all faculty (myself included!) would have their syllabi available early and Commons is as good a place as any to post them. DSS could pull them down to view as needed and they wouldn't be out there floating around cyberspace. 

I also love the idea of having sample/template versions available for faculty to grab and use.

Thanks!

Amy

ccalderon
Community Champion

This is a great suggestion, and I have voted it up as well - hopefully, we can see this implemented soon! In the meantime, a good workaround might be to create a Page with Syllabus content, and share that Page out, using a title such as "Syllabus Template" or whatever. Once imported, a user can then just copy the content out of the shared Page into the Syllabus - easy! Smiley Happy

kmcgee
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

It's clear that this feature would be widely helpful for our Commons users. Thank you for sharing your use cases and the impact this would have for your institution. I feel that we have good information and support for this feature. So we'll go ahead and archive this idea for the time being.

Thank You,

Kate McGee

Commons Product Manager

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.