Canvas Media Recordings

Hello, we have come across a small problem.  Say I have done a media recording of myself, in Canvas.  I did the Media recording, the count down, and it is in my Art 1 class. However, I also want to use this video, that I made in Canvas in my Art 2 class.  I can not find this recording in my files. The only place I can find it is in the class I recorded it in and I have to be using the new RCE to even find that. Since it is my file, my recording, I think I should be able to find it in my files, to be able to use it in other classes.  

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community 

18 Comments
amoore6
Community Explorer

@jcarpenter1   That's handy!  Thank you.   

Did you find a way to download/save those recording in the new RCE?  I didn't see anything. 

Also, it looks like the recordings are only accessible through the RCE, and not found in the Files, which would be nice. 

Kim_Murray
Community Member

@jcarpetner1

The new RCE is where you can find a lot of your videos and it is great.  But I have still not been able to find the videos that I recorded in Canvas, from the "video record/upload" and I can not find the videos that are used in my other Canvas Courses. (I looked again today after seeing your message)

jcarpenter1
Panda Pros
Panda Pros

@amoore , I just found them by accident.  I was looking to make course links, and found the videos that I had made using the RCE video tool. @Kim_Murray these were the videos I recorded in Canvas, and NOT with Studio.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

Newly recorded media and uploaded media via the Upload/Record Media link is stored in the Course, Groups, or User Files folder, respectively. This change ensures users can reuse media uploaded or recorded as media content. Previously, newly recorded and uploaded media could not be repurposed without being exported as part of course content.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-12-19) - Canvas Community 

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this conversation. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed