Canvas Notifications: Stop Annotation Notifications for Peer Review Assignments

0 Likes
(10)

I use Submission Comments as a way to engage with students and receive their feedback about assignments, so I need to use notify immediately for Submission Comments. However, now that Canvas combines annotation and submission comment notifications under "Submission Comment," this issue has resulted in receiving an email notification each time a student completes an annotated comment in a Canvas Peer Review assignment.

Even if I change the Submission Comment to a daily summary, there will still be numerous notifications to scroll through to see if a student made a comment in the submission comments section. 

Ideas

• Similar to how Canvas made a change regarding the annotation assignment submission, the same process should be implemented for Canvas Peer Reviews. In most cases, I envision faculty do not want to be notified each time a student makes one annotated comment in a peer review assignment.

Or

• Add "Annotation Comment" as its own notification in the Canvas Notifications menu. 
8 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

lewis_crawford
Community Member

I fully agree. It gets rather tiresome having to turn off my notifications when my students are doing peer reviews, then turn notifications back on when they finish. 

lewis_crawford
Community Member

I agree. I like receiving immediate emails when a student comments on an assignment; however, when my students are doing peer reviews, getting an email every time they leave feedback pointlessly fills up my email inbox. I have to go and change my notifications to daily when I assign peer reviews, then switch it back afterward. 

Please separate out the Peer Review comments from other forms of commenting. 

gswicegood
Community Member

Agreed!  Even for students, they should be able to get a notification of my Submission comments on their assignment, but turn off notifications for every annotation I make while grading in the Canvas app on a File Upload assignment.

en5364
Community Explorer

To be clear this is not just a faculty issue!  Students are getting flooded with notifications too, it appears that the fixes so far have only addressed the notifications for faculty and aren't addressing them from the student side. 

IyanBarrera-San
Community Member

Hello I want to reiterate the comments related to students. I have been informed that students are getting flooded with emails when an instructor in annotating their assignment. Please adjust the notifications so that annotating notifications do not send individual emails to any groups.

mike_ulrich
Community Explorer

I just found out from a student that they receive separate emails whenever I add annotations to an assignment in SpeedGrader. Students have never mentioned this before so I don't know if something changed in Canvas or if the issue was just never brought up.

I rely on annotations to provide feedback on students' assignments, and will often include dozens of annotations per student assignment. I do not want my students' inboxes to be flooded because of how I give feedback.

Is there anyway to disable this, or to only give one notification per day that an annotation was added? They don't need to receive separate messages for each annotation I make, one per day is plenty. Something like, "Your assignment recently received new annotation(s) today, click here to view". 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.