[Mobile - Canvas Parent] View assignment comments and rubrics

The Canvas Parent App needs to display assignment comments and rubric scores.

This is a huge oversight of the app and an integral part of parent engagement in student learning,

The purpose of assessment should be to progress learning. Evidence shows an overall mark or score on an assessment item does nothing to support the growth of student learning. It is the feedback provided on the work that does this. At the moment parents need to use the student app or log on via a browser to be able to see this integral part of teacher's assessment practice.

The mobile App is ideal for parents to use. It's at their fingertips and is a nice simplified version of Canvas. But if one of the main reasons schools provide parents access to Canvas is to support parent engagement with student learning then the App becomes pointless if comments and rubric scores given on the assignment arent displayed. 

Added to Theme

24 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @tina_busch -

I think this is a great space for the Canvas Parent to grow! I submitted this idea in the past (as have others!), and I know that the mobile team is aware of the need to include submission comments, submission views, and rubric data to families. When Canvas Parent was first introduced, the app was meant to provide the most essential features to families. Then, with the reminders/alerts, help conversations at the computer later. However, with so many more students working in blended online environments, I see this feature opportunity as more important than ever. 

I hope others are able to join the conversation. 🙂

emilyreagan
Community Explorer

Yes Please this is in HIGH DEMAND right now and Parents in our instance would LOVE this

sharlene_bancs
Community Member

Agreed. We shouldn't have to agree on something so obvious. Seeing feedback  as it relates to the assignment should be standard.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Remember to rate the idea too!

emilyreagan
Community Explorer

Parent app also needs to show teacher feedback on assignments

JKAHarris
Community Novice

This desperately needs to happen.  I assumed it was a feature already and, very unfortunately, I was wrong.  It's fine and unneeded for college students but something that should have already been taken care of for younger students.  When I learned recently that parents were completely unable to see the comments on assignments (and apparently the messages in the inbox) I was surprised and frustrated.  Please please fix this immediately. 

amifsud
Community Member

Desperately needing this solution. Our parent definitely prefer an app solution but come to read comments and rubrics. 

vlasicma
Community Member

Many of our families rely on their cell phones to monitor their student's progress on assignments. It is crucial that they are able to view teacher comments and rubrics in order to be able to support their students. 

terri_hall
Community Member

I have parents and teachers asking about this now! Has there been any type of update over the last year to include grading comments and/or rubrics for the parent app?