Canvas Parent: Cross out submitted assignments on calendar

0 Likes
(4)

The Canvas Student web version will show submitted assignments on the calendar as crossed out. My Canvas Parent web version does not and it would be very helpful to have that so I'm not switching between the Calendar and Grades for all 16 classes across 2 kids. I cannot tell if the mobile app is the same as no calendar events show at all because of a bug in v3.3.1. 

18 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @wilsmic -

I think that when the bug that's affecting the Calendar in Canvas Parent is resolved with the next update (3.3.2), you'll be pleased with the Calendar's features. With the week-at-a-glance, you can see exactly what is needed for each student to complete. Additionally, you'll see labels for missing, late, submitted, and no submission. It'll keep you and your family right on track.

Have you looked at the custom alerts you can set for your students? That may help organize things further, especially if you want to know if something wasn't submitted. How do I set alerts for a student in the Canvas Parent app on my Android device? 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

wilsmic
Community Member

When is 3.3.2 going to be released? I have several notifications turned on and I get a lot of emails, but I love the idea of "week at a glance" as I check every Monday morning to see what is coming up. One of my girls is newly on a 504 plan and I have to watch out for multiple tests coming up at once so we can plan around. Thanks for the quick reply!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

it was released on October 22!

‎Canvas Parent on the App Store 

wilsmic
Community Member

Thanks, my Calendar works on the mobile app now! Still doesn't have submitted assignments crossed out. Neither on the web. Also, on the "Week" view it's wonky because all her teachers make assignments due at 11:59pm. I think I'll have to use the Agenda view.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

christopher_cre
Community Novice

As a parent and teacher and school leader, having the students' assignments crossed out on the parent calendar is crucial. Having to ask a student if they have turned in each assignment is an unnecessary communication hurdle. I understand that it isn't the parents who turned in the assignment--but that seems to be an absurd premise--parents can't turn in assignments anyway.

The issues seems to be whether they are observing their child or whether they are observing the class.  Clearly we need parents to be able to observe the child. 

kwright73
Community Novice

I agree wholeheartedly: "having the students' assignments crossed out on the parent calendar is crucial. Having to ask a student if they have turned in each assignment is an unnecessary communication hurdle."

Please add this feature to the parent calendar on both the browser and mobile app.

BrunoDonzelli
Community Member

I second this. Not showing what was completed and was wasn`t makes the agenda in canvas parents semi useless. It becomes just a list. No way to easily know what is going on unless you keep bugging the student constantly or keep checking class by class.  In my experience custom alerts will tell you when an assignment is created or when it is overdue and there there is not an easy way to check the status of ALL the assignments unless you ask your kid to let you take a look at the agenda in the student version of canvas, which is very inconvenient.  

jlange3
Community Member

please add this.  I cannot even see on the parent app if they have even submitted it.  I have to look at my student's account to see the green "submitted". If we could make these match, that would be great

Mr_MichaelD
Community Member

PLEASE FIX THE CALENDAR for Parents (Student’s assignments should be crossed out when done). It’s been over a year now since I been using Canvas for Parents. I thought this would have been fixed by now. My son hates it when I log on to his account when he gets home. If I don’t see what he has done during the day and what needs to be done after school, He will conveniently forget an assignment. I’m thankful that Canvas is there for us to use. 

Use web version on PC & Tablet

App version can not find his school 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Mr_MichaelD -

You mentioned that the app version can not find his school.

Have you tried the handy QR option to sign into your Observer account on the Canvas Parent app?  If you have and still don't have luck, let the Community know! We may be able to find additional resources for you.

How do I log in to the Canvas Parent app on my iOS device with a QR code? 

Mr_MichaelD
Community Member

Thank you for the info.

I figured it out right after I posted on the board. The QR code works. I got it from the Web version of Canvas Parent. Once logged in, I clicked on Account/QR for Mobile Login. Once the QR code was on the screen I open the App on my tablet and selected login with QR code. Pointed my tablet at my PC screen and was logged in with all of my son’s classes.

Once logged in I spent about an hour looking around and I found the app to be useless. That is just my opinion.  I am deleting the app & will just continue to use the web browser on my tablet & PC with hopes of then fixing the calendar.

Jamiecaldwell1
Community Member

@KristinL or @Stef_retired has there been any progress made to this?

I have used the parent login, copied the calendar feed and manual added it to my calendar in google, tried to download the app and even using the app on my phone with the students login view, the assignments that have been completed are not crossed off in the calendar or agenda. The only way assignments show as crossed off after submission is through the student login view on my computer. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Jamiecaldwell1 -

I know that the mobile team and engineers are aware of the issues, and this thread is the best place to watch for updates. I'm sorry I don't have a better update to share.

wmercer
Community Member

As a private school for students with diagnosed learning differences, it is essential that we (school, teachers) maintain a close working relationship with parents. One of the ways this can be accomplished is for parents, when they look at their child’s calendar, to have a visual representation of which assignments are turned in and which assignments are not. When a student views the calendar, submitted assignments are crossed off. When a parent views their child’s calendar, it just shows their assignments. The parent has no readily available way to know if the assignments they are looking at are completed or not.

I do understand the role of observer can be more than just a parent. However, I feel that the vast majority of observers are, in fact, parents, who need to know what assignments are and are not submitted. This is essential for the parent to be able to guide their child as needed. They need independent access to this information, and not have to reply on asking their child if assignments are turned in.

Perhaps another role needs to be assigned to observer, called parent. Or assigned as a separate parent role; a role that, when activated, can pass the assignment completed information on to the parent. It would be awesome if somehow the grade earned on completed assignments could also be visible on this page. Perhaps the role of parent being default for observer, with a toggle to turn off the assignment completion info if the observer does not need this info. By far, the vast majority of observers will be parents.

Until this feature is available, unfortunately, Canvas will not be as useful a tool as we need. One of the loudest and most frequent concerns from parents this school year has related to the parent calendar view, and the lack of available information on this page. Parents have asked why we chose Canvas as our LMS given that the calendar feature does not give the parent useful information. It is not good enough to just show the parent what assignments are due and when. The parent needs to see what assignments are turned in. This is essential.

AS our students move from grade to grade, we promote a “hands off” approach, giving more homework decision-making and responsibility to students. Given the disastrous past experiences some parents have had with this before enrolling here, parents are relieved when they can give this independence, knowing they can still keep an eye on things in the background, and still see what is and is not turned in. Unfortunately, with the parent observer role, Canvas falls short on this aspect. Just knowing what assignments are due does not help. This simply isn’t enough. The fact that the parent observer calendar page does not show what actually needs to be turned in is a huge Canvas deficit.

Canvas does so many other things so well. There are so many other features that work amazingly and flawlessly. Canvas has been a much needed improvement in how we, as a school, manage assignments and grades. However, this one parent observer issue is a critical issue; one that I strongly feel Canvas should review and implement. To empower parents and give them a tool to let them know in real time what assignments their child has or has not submitted, is game changing.  If anyone on the Canvas developer team feels otherwise, or feels this should not be implemented, please have them contact me and lets chat.

I found a post from 2020 requesting this same feature. It is imperative that Canvas make this information available to parents. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Canvas-Parent-Cross-out-submitted-assignments-...

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.