Canvas Passback to PowerSchool - Missing

(23)

Canvas passes back to PowerSchool a "late" indicator if assignments are turned in or scored by Canvas after the due date/time.  Even when I don't want it to... it does.

Canvas DOES NOT pass back to PowerSchool that an assignment is "missing" even though I have specifically chosen the "missing" indicator in Canvas.

It would be so much more useful for students, parents, teachers, if that "missing" indicator could be passed over to PowerSchool.

39 Comments
EMILYNUNEZ
Community Novice

I think this feature is so necessary. Missing assignment flags should sync!

sgenow
Community Member

My teachers love that the late tag appears in the Powerschool gradebook but what they really want to see are the missing assignments. It would awesome if this tag would also transfer

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

When I select Automatically apply grade for missing submissions in gradebook settings.  Zero's set by the auto tool, don't transfer to PowerSchool.  Zero's that I have entered transfer fine.

ChandlWM
Community Contributor

I think my issue should be a separate issue.  It happens for assignments and quizzes that don't have a score and may not have required a submission.  The setting in canvas in the grades is just called -  " Automatically apply grade for missing submissions."

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for your comment, @ChandlWM . We interpret your request as part of this project, and we'll double-check with our teams to be sure.

JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

This would be such a valuable use of the passback service. Not just to make it easier for students, parents, and teachers to see the missing tag on PowerSchool, but to also address a side issue with the syncing.

The problem is how Canvas overwrites PowerSchool. Let's say I have an assignment in Canvas. A student has not turned it in, and my settings automatically mark it as missing and assign a 0. So I mark the item as missing in PowerSchool. Now both services mark it as missing and with a 0 for a grade.

The next time Canvas syncs to PowerSchool, the missing tag on PowerSchool disappears, even though the assignment is still marked missing with a 0 on Canvas. 

We often print reports that list all assignments marked as Missing in PowerSchool, either for students or for parents that request it. I have Canvas set up to sync nightly. The sync removing the missing tags I have manually applied in PowerSchool hinders this procedure.

Based on prior comments, it is implied that teachers wanted this turned off. If this is truly a tag that generates differing opinions, that create an option in the Grade Sync Settings menu. Give teachers the option to send or not send missing tags. However, if that is added, might as well add similar options for Late and Excused too.

glen_smithberge
Community Novice

Now that my school is using Canvas grade sync, I would greatly appreciate the "missing" tag to sync to Power School. This is something I used a lot of previously. I definitely have missed using it this semester and it allows other teachers to run reports much easier as they can see what assignments are missing. 

rsavelkoul
Community Member

I agree.  Passing the "missing" indicator and the instructor comments would be a BIG improvement to the sync.  Many of our teachers will not sync because these are not available to them.  With the movement towards flexible deadlines and any-time learning, this limitation is frustrating.

kmasters
Community Explorer

I get requests for this feature from teachers quite frequently. Parents and students look to PowerSchool as their primary source for grades, as that's where historical grades are stored and report cards generated, so it would be fantastic if the PowerSchools grades would more accurately represent what's in Canvas.

mpjohnson0616
Community Member

Has there been any response from Canvas on this thread? It's such a major issue for so many teachers that it needs to be addressed right away, but I can't see where it has even been acknowledged by a Canvas employee. Other than:

Community Team

Thanks for your comment, @ChandlWM . We interpret your request as part of this project, and we'll double-check with our teams to be sure.

So what is the update? Have you double-checked? And what was the outcome? We need this fix incorporated ASAP.

DeloraIdehenre
Community Explorer

Based on the number of requests for this, It should at least be looked into. Today I had to manually go through my canvas for missing assignments for Q3 so that the students who have completed everything could have their tech day. It would be helpful to either be able to print missing reports from canvas or have the missing sync to powerschool. 

LarissaAndersen
Community Novice

This is a feature that must be added! Please, Canvas, add the "missing" tag feature just like the "late" tag when syncing to gradebooks.

JosephHarris987
Community Member

Please fix this Canvas.

sbailey7
Community Member

Absolutely agree. This is very frustrating and seems like an easy fix. Reading through this thread, I can't believe that this is still an issue after a few years.

emma_bagg1
Community Participant

So glad to come back to this -

We did the change to the new canvas-powerschool integration over the summer. It is not without some hiccups but am pleased to report that the missing tag now passes over to powerschool from canvas. 

DeloraIdehenre
Community Explorer

@emma_bagg1  Can you explain what you mean by new Canvas-Powerschool integration? I'm still not seeing mine sync the tags. Now that I have taken on an extra team of students because of a teacher's medical leave and lack of subs, this is really giving me a headache. 

mdejesus
Community Member

Yes! This is so necessary. 

MarjieSharpe
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived