Canvas Peer Review Auto-assign doesn't auto-assign late submissions

0 Likes
(6)

I am frustrated that late assignments are ignored by the auto-assign feature of peer-reviews. If a student submits even 1 minute past the deadline, Canvas will not auto-assign a peer review, making the "automatic" part not so much. I then have to go in and manually assign them. Apart from the obvious inconvenience to my practice, this can delay students moving forward and this is deadly for them, especially to students already prone to being behind. 

Could we please have an "allow late submissions auto-assigned peer review" option in the peer review section of assignments for those of us who allow late submissions, and to be more equitable to students who need to submit late assignments without having to wait on me to realize it and manually assign them?

Thank you!

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

petern
Community Contributor

I like this idea. I've encountered the same problem described and as an instructor it is time consuming to go back and manually assign. At the same time, the students are waiting. Maybe this is something that can be considered for assignments 2.0?

davidgs
Community Participant

Agreed. I'd like to be able to automatically assign peer review to all students, even if some have not submitted the original assignment. Peer feedback has pedagogical value whether a student has submitted the original assignment or not.

HosseinTavana
Community Member

Agree!

ShannonDosh
Community Member

I agree! I allow late submissions and am constantly having to reset the peer review assignment, which is very time consuming. 

TheresaPeters
Community Member

I agree! 
AND
1.  having the auto assigning feature and then actually assigning it to the students without me having to go click the button...  auto assign should continue to assign peer reviews as assignments come in AND do it without me manually going in and clicking assign now button! That's not very automatic!

2.  Give the option for assign all assignments to all students for peer review!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.