[Studio] Open-ended Questions for video quizzes

I enjoy the fact that canvas is making their own video quiz option. However, I have been unable to take advantage of it because there is no open-ended question option. I like to have my students answer one or two open-ended questions during videos to ensure their understanding and to push them to think deeper about the information they are being given. It can also be a great way to check-in on a students thinking during a pre-recorded video lecture to ensure information is getting across correctly. 

By adding this feature we are expanding our students ability to interact with content in a meaningful way.

This type of question is available through other sites such as edpuzzle. I do use it there. But I would prefer to be able to do this through canvas since I already record some of my lectures and tutorials through its studio system. 

Added to Theme

27 Comments
taylor_hall
Community Member

Please add short response to Canvas Studio Quizzes. It is really limiting and makes it hard to recommend Studio over Edpuzzle because of this lack of a feature.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I think that this would be a great addition to the Canvas Studio features. Many of my colleagues have requested this feature as well, as they naturally compare Studio to EdPuzzle. The open-ended question provides students to provide different levels of understanding and gives instructors some added flexibility to their class activities.

Landmark_Coll
Community Participant

Upvote! Please give this idea serious consideration. Thanks.

Michael Keen

Landmark College

BradyVelikonia
Community Member

I also 100% totally agree with this suggestion - I'm actually here because I wanted to make this suggestion myself! I want to be able to ask certain questions at specific points during the video to get feedback as well as evaluate learning!

CarlaD07
Community Explorer

Yes please!! We just wrapped up our district Canvas kickoff training and immediately after I had teacher after teacher who are currently using EdPuzzle come to me concerned that they are being asked to switch to Studio, and are unable to use open ended quiz questions. This would go a long ways in strengthening the capabilities and flexibility of using Studio.

laura_laws
Community Member

Annotated videos need to be available to add to quizzes or more question types need to be added to Studio.

KateChristie
Community Explorer

It is also especially important because if I embed the Studio Quiz as an external tool for grading in my course, there is no option for students to even comment on the video. As the original suggestion states, we need open-ended options for critical thinking and just best practices. 

AkosFarago
Instructure
Instructure

Hi all,

just wanted to let all of you know, that this is a great idea and as we will work on some quiz improvements throughout next year, so we'll definitely put this under our microscope. 

Best,

Akos

dlhaley
Community Member

Open Ended Response Question Types in Canvas Studio Quizzes

callet
Community Novice

I teach ELA; it's so important to be able to have this feature -- not only multiple choice, true/false, and multiple answer. 

I've used Edpuzzle, but Edpuzzle is harder to use than Studio- but with the limitation of not being able to ask students essay questions, I'll have to go back to Edpuzzle...

Please consider developing this feature!

Thanks,

Valerie Callet