[Studio] Resizing Embedded Media

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As it currently stands the only way to resize an embedded Studio video on a page is to go through the Html editor.  This is not an easy task for the majority of all K-12 users of Canvas.  Once a video is placed on a page, it's one-size-fits-all. 

A feature that we and our teachers would love to see is:  Allowing users the ability to easily resize their videos much like they currently would with static images.

Added to Theme

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Landmark_Coll
Community Participant

Agreed. A size drop-down on the Embed tool would be helpful. Also, it would be great if a video on a page could have a small thumbnail that expands when played as is currently the case for videos created with the native record/upload media tool and YouTube videos.

jbuiteweg
Community Participant

Agreed - studio videos with commenting turned on take a lot of real estate.

kjensen2
Community Explorer

I'm late to the party, (we just started with Canvas) but this would be incredibly helpful if we would be able to resize Studio videos.   How can we best move this along?

Landmark_Coll
Community Participant

Hi again,

I wanted to give this idea an extra bump because I've just discovered that the native/legacy media record/upload tool in Canvas now includes a "Video Options" panel where the size of the video can be altered from a drop-down menu instead of editing HTML. This presents a situation where there is an aspect of "free" tool that is more optimal than the paid premium tool (Studio). This shouldn't be the case. It's been challenging to get some instructors to break old habits and start using Studio; it doesn't help if Studio lacks capabilities that exist in the native/legacy tool.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-05-20)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-05-20)