[Studio] Videos should be embedded in the App (not point to an external link)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas Mobile

When logging into the Student App for Canvas, I noticed that the Studio videos I embedded in my course were a link and not an interactive video. This is a disappointing experience for a few reasons:

1. I'm not sure that faculty are aware of this when they have made the effort to already embed content in their course.
  2. It leads students to see a link (which seems less likely to be clicked on).
  3. My understanding is that Studio is owned/operated by Canvas, so full integration seems important.

Added to Theme

7 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ryne_jungling
Community Explorer

I completely agree with this proposal. Our teachers build content on MacBook Airs and see the embedded video directly in their assignments or quizzes - but for students on their iPad apps, they only see the "External Tool" bar. We know that you can grab the embed code and embed that code in the assignment, but the workflow for that isn't as easy as going to the Plug and finding the studio video. It would be much better if the videos simply embedded in the assignment for the iOS app.

Here's what it looks like on the iPad App and the Browser.

iPad Student App Chrome Browser
Launch External Tool Bar - Studio Video.png

Studio Video - Browser.png

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

UGH!! We are new to Studio and I'm so disappointed to learn this is how it works on the Student App.

All our K-8 students are on iPads and if we want teachers to use Studio, this desperately needs to be improved!

ryne_jungling
Community Explorer

@Hildi_Pardo 

There is a workaround for this issue, like I shared in my previous comment - but it is something to show and train teachers on. If you grab the embed code from the Studio video and then embed it into the assignment/page/quiz, it works great - even on the iPad. I hope that it changes soon so it embeds clean online and in the app, but it is possible.

emily_beckman
Community Contributor

Please get this fully integrated with the app. Teachers shouldn't have to do extra steps (embed code) to get it to function int he app like it does in the browser. It confuses the students thinking something is wrong when it doesn't look similar to what the teacher shows them.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

The Instructure Product Team has shared that this idea is currently In Development. Be sure to follow this thread and the Release Notes for updates.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through:

Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.23)

Canvas Student Release Notes (iOS 6.23)