Canvas Teacher: Option to Hide Grades / Comments / Files Tabs in Landscape

(3)

Currently, the Grades / Comments / Files window is always present in SpeedGrader on the iPad version of Canvas Teacher in landscape mode. This part of the UI is only used once every few minutes after grading one submission for one input, but constantly takes up more than a third of the width, making the preview window about half as wide as it can be. Some students write small, and the width of the preview window, being narrower than letter size, actually shrinks their handwriting. This makes panning and moving a necessity at times, and squinting a normality to avoid such loss of efficiency. 

Thank you for creating a reliable and evolving platform for teaching.

13 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @jiayi_lou . This sounds a lot like https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9416-canvas-teacher-option-to-hide-grading-tabs which is marked completed. Have a look at that and let us know if you have any questions and for now, I will mark this idea for archival.

jiayi_lou
Community Novice

Dear Adam,

I did read the post you mentioned before posting this and searched for similar topics, but I don’t think the feature to hide the tabs in landscape mode has been posted as an idea or completed. The completed idea only talks about portrait mode, while in landscape, the infrequently used score input constantly takes up more than 1/3 of the width, which makes reading small handwriting a hassle. Thanks for your work on this! Hope you are staying safe!

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Ah, thank you! I missed the detail about landscape vs portrait. I have opened this idea up for voting based on that information. I am staying well and I hope you and your loved ones are too!

a1000940
Community Novice

This would be really useful.  On a 12.9 (the one before last) I can't get that to hide in either portrait or landscape.  

Thanks Michael

a1000940
Community Novice

Just a follow up.  A colleague with a 10.5 iPad gets hiding in portrait but not landscape.  My iPhone SE (very small screen!) has no landscape mode but hiding in portrait.  So I guess the software is making decisions about features it offers based on what it thinks is the available real estate.  Rather than the age of the users eyes 🙂  At least that explains as I search the internet why I see conflicting advice about when there is hiding and when there isn't.  A user selectable option of hiding would be a useful feature always in my opinion. 

garreln1
Community Novice

Hi,

Michael Murray is correct. I received the brand new 2020 iPad Pro 12.9” yesterday and am not able to minimize the comment box in portrait mode and landscape mode while writing on papers in the app. That feature works fine on smaller screen devices. 

This is really frustrating since I ordered the larger iPad specifically because I wanted papers to be the same size that they would be if they were hard copies! It is pretty insane that a larger device actually results in a smaller working space because the system detects screen size and changes the features that are available. This reminds me of how of the default settings in bootstrap make things really easy but sometimes cause unforeseen problems.

I hope this is fixed soon!

Nate

eichelbergerb
Community Novice

Making this change would be especially valuable for teachers correcting/editing essays or designs/visual projects at the secondary or post-secondary level. 

The ability to comment live in Canvas via comment tags or directly with a stylus is phenomenal, but the work is hard on the eyes at such small size. The ability to close/hide the grades/comment/files fields and view an assignment at full size would be exceptional!

eichelbergerb
Community Novice

That’s encouraging that it is available in some devices/orientations/sizes. If this could be universal based on a simple “toggle switch,” that would be ideal.

Aggie91
Community Member

This isn't solved for the Ipad Pro 12.9 inch model.  In Portrait Mode the Grades/Comments column is HUGE!  Please fix this, this is why I bought the larger IPAD and the smaller ipads actually give more surface to grade papers.

janinefir
Community Member

Please make this feature available. Making annotations in landscape mode in the app is far preferable to using portrait mode. Currently, however, the grade/comment/file tabs are only "hide-able" in portrait mode, not in landscape mode. This limits the viewable space for the document and makes it harder to annotate it.  

kyh802
Community Explorer

This also isn't solved for Android tablets--in fact, the stupid tabs being constantly visible has actually become a *new* problem with the Android mobile app. 😑

RMBuck
Community Explorer

I would like to be able to hide the sidebar when annotating/grading papers in portrait mode on the Ipad pro 12.9. See screenshot.

IMG_30A5FDBC5F5D-1.jpeg

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.