[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Canvas Teacher: Option to Hide Grading Tabs

TL;DR: The ability for users to hide the grading, comments, and files area so documents can be viewed in full screen when grading in the Teacher App. 

The Teacher app currently doesn't give the ability to hide the grading, comments, and files area when using the app on an iPad in landscape or portrait mode. It would be helpful to temporarily hide this section so the user can have full-screen access to documents in SpeedGrader for annotations. 

This is a current view on an iPad in portrait mode: 

249490_IMG_0178.jpg

This view limits the usability of SpeedGrader, especially for annotations. 

Comments from Instructure

This was corrected for iPads with Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.7) , but is not in the notes. Grading tabs can be hidden in portrait mode, but not in landscape.

Added to Theme

Technical Functionality Theme Status: Identified

19 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion
Aggie91
Community Member

This is still a problem for the Ipad Pro 12.9 inch screen.  The Grades/Comments/Files section does NOT go away in portrait mode.  This is the main reason I bought the larger screened Ipad. Since it has been fixed for other versions please fix it or give us the option on the 12.9 screen.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

watsonnk
Community Participant

Is there any chance that the bug with not being able to hide/minimise the coimment/grade/files  tabs when in landscape mode in the Teacher App on Ipads?  I don't quite see the reason for this design choice, especially when it was fixed for portrait mode but not for landscape.

All the best,

Nigel W.

kyh802
Community Explorer

I used to be able to hide the grade/comment/file table on my Andriod tablet but recently had to uninstall and reinstall the teacher app, and now it's permanently visible and I am permanently enraged.

katmorris
Community Novice

This is still a problem on 12.9" iPads. I have only 8" diagonal space for annotating on my screen because I can't shrink the grading tab. Since this is possible on smaller screens it should be an easy fix. I don't understand why it's been more than a year with no fix.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Dan20
Community Member
Problem statement:

I am unable to hide/toggle off the grade/comment detail tray in the Canvas app on my iPad Pro 12.9” like I can on my laptop's browser. On the smaller iPad, this tray at least disappears when the iPad is in portrait mode, but on the larger iPad 12.9, it never goes away. While grading a paper, this column is a waste of space, and because it limits the size of the student’s paper, the grader has to constantly zoom in and out when writing comments. I can switch to landscape mode, but even then I'd prefer to toggle off the sidebar because it provides nothing of use while grading. When you're trying to leave neat, legible comments with the Apple Pencil, greater access to the student's paper itself is preferable, especially since Canvas saves the hand-written comments in poor resolution. To see a screenshot of the problem, click here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Mobile-Forum/Unable-to-Hide-the-Grade-Detail-Tray-in-Canva...

Proposed solution:

Enable iPad users to toggle off the grade/comment detail tray just as they can on the laptop browser.

User role(s):

admin,instructor