Canvas Teacher: Removing Individual Annotations

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Suggestion to improve grading in the Canvas Teacher App:

Add an eraser tool 

The Canvas Teacher app doesn't allow users to delete a portion of a Draw and Add Area annotation. Instead of deleting to entire annotation, it would be helpful to have more exact control over these two types of annotations. This could come in the form of an eraser tool to give users this control. 

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the

13 Comments
rseilham
Community Champion

Hi  @ltripoli ‌, 

I think this idea might to be more refined since this functionality does exist at some level. For annotations...

Erase a portion of an annotation: This is not possible. There is no way to remove a part of an annotation after it has been added.

Erase the whole annotation: This is possible. For Add Point, Highlight, Text, and Strikeout Text you can tap directly on the annotation right after it's been created. This will bring up a set of options with one being a trash can icon. Tap that icon to delete the annotation. 

For the Draw and Add Area annotations, you must turn off the tool before deleting the annotation. You do this by tapping on the tool in the toolbar. Once you have the tool off, you can tap the annotation and delete it with the trashcan icon. One quirk about these annotations is if you add a bunch of annotations, they stick together, so you have to delete all of them. To get around this, you can tap the tool on and off between creating Draw and Add Area annotation. This will allow you to delete individual Draw and Add Area annotation <<<< Not being able to individually delete these two annotations individually might be the real problem and a genuine candidate for an "issue."

Here is a video to show the above...

Delete Annotations in Canvas Teacher - YouTube 

ltripoli
Community Novice

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for responding to my feature request, adding details that clarify

a way of working with drawn annotations and removing them. I still maintain

that an eraser tool would be a great and is needed. Another option would be

to separate drawings so that if they're not touching one another, they can

be deleted separately. As you suggested, "Not being able to individually

delete these two annotations individually might be the real problem and a

genuine candidate for an 'issue.'" Having no eraser tool is a problem, but

allowing for an option to separately delete drawn annotations would be one

fix.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM, Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu <

rseilham
Community Champion

Hi, @ltripoli ‌

As you suggested, "Not being able to individually delete these two annotations individually might be the real problem and a genuine candidate for an 'issue.'" Having no eraser tool is a problem, but allowing for an option to separately delete drawn annotations would be one fix.

Do you mind if I rework this idea to be more in line with the above statement?  Thanks!

ltripoli
Community Novice

Yes, being able to individually delete marks would greatly improve grading

in the Teacher app! Thanks.

ezaurova
Community Participant

Or a simple undo option would probably fix most issues that an erase tool would be needed for.  More often than not I have to erase because I misspelled a word I was writing, or didn't phrase something as I would have liked.  Just simply undoing the last few strokes would make it so I don't have to delete the entire comment to that point.

rseilham
Community Champion

@ezaurova ‌, 

So, as you described it, it appears the undo feature (currently only in the iOS app) isn't really what you need? Unless you are using Android, then you won't see this feature. 

ezaurova
Community Participant

Sorry I missed this.  I don't use the app so I'm not sure what the feature currently looks like in the IOS app.

rseilham
Community Champion

Ms. Elena Zaurova‌, 

Yes, it's kind of hidden in the iPhone app because of the limited space. You have to access the "More Options" ellipsis, which is #2 in the following image:

259205_32121ddc-c09a-44e2-823f-50fbe1471b4e.png

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Teacher Release Notes (iOS 1.7) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@ltripoli  Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @rseilham  Thank You ,  @ezaurova  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!